1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose college basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Nov 11, 2006.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I still have X probably getting in, but getting knocked off by a URI team they pummeled in late February (and with Will Daniels sidelined by a bum ankle down the stretch) does not reflect well. URI probably didn't even have an NIT bid locked up two days ago.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Vassalo represent!

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What if ... hoo boy ... N.C. State wins the ACC tournament? Where would they get seeded? And would they take Georgia Tech's spot as a tit-for-tat or just bounce someone else?

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I think NC State would have to take GT's spot. They could not take eight from the ACC. The good news for Arkansas is that while some bids are getting stolen, other bubble teams are falling apart, like Stanford, Air Force and Texas Tech.

Angola ... if our Cougs are any lower than a 4, it's criminal. But I would not doubt they fall to 5, based on the fact that, well, they're the Cougs and have to prove it. They won't be a six. They finished second in the Pac-10 for god's sake. You'd have to ignore the entire regular season to make them a six. The five alone would be a slap on the wrist for the 3-3 finish.

5. And now Dookie V is shilling for N.C. State.

"Oh, they beat Virginia, Duke and Va. Tech in 72 hours! They should be in! Wait, I need to spit ... THE ACC IS AWESOME, BABY!"

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Lester, it doesn't work that way. NC State wouldn't take GT's spot. I think GT is pretty solidly in. 8-8 vs. the Top 50 is pretty good. GT would be compared with bubble teams like Xavier, Missouri State, Drexel, etc. Again, conferences don't get bids. Teams earn bids.

7. That's pretty naive, IMO. Certain conferences seem to get preferential treatment every year on Selection Sunday. *coughACCcough*

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Dickie V, but NCSU doesn't get in unless it beats Chapel Hill on Sunday.

But if that happens, at least eight ACC teams in the NCAAs (sorry, Ellis and many others who seem to think the ACC lives a charmed life with the committee). Georgia Tech is safely in ... my question would be in if NCSU takes the spot Florida State probably has right now.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Understood, Cosmo. But GT's RPI is in the 50s and they have ONE road win this year. If you do not think them shitting the bed against Wake -- again -- put them on the bubble, you put them in a higher spot than do I. If you want to buy the company line about conferences not getting bids, go fish, but NC State winning it all will not help GT's cause. BTW, all three of those teams you named (and Purdue and Illinois) have better RPIs than GT.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

To John Swofford:

You can take the ACC Tournament out of North Carolina, but you can't take the North Carolina schools out of the tournament.

Carry on.

11. If N.C. State makes the tournament as an at-large it will be one of the biggest travesties in selection history. The Wolfpack barely cracks the top 100 in RPI; their strength of schedule is 50 (272 in non-conference play), they were 7-11 in conference and have two losses vs. sub-150 RPI teams. So because they got hot over a three-day period, they deserve to get in over 20-plus win teams such as Drexel, West Virginia and Missouri St.? Bullshit, to put it plainly.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's not naive. It's the truth. If the ACC got "preferential treatment" it would have gotten more than four teams last year.

Draft saved Draft deleted