1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

For all you Canadians, Saturday is Hockey Day in Canada.

Here's my dream schedule:

1 PM - Colorado (formerly Quebec Nordiques) at Montreal Canadiens
    4 PM - Ottawa Senators at Toronto Maple Leafs
    7 PM - Phoenix (formerly Winnipeg Jets) and Vancouver Canucks (farm team: Manitoba Moose) in Winnipeg
    10 PM - Calgary Flames at Edmonton Oilers (and somehow, Chris Cuthbert calls the game)

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Heck, I'm in the states and I'm looking forward to Hockey Day since I've got Center Ice. I love all the programming in addition to the games.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Please ... somebody ... anybody ... tell me this isn't true. This would be a very bad trade.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Flash, you think that's bad? How about this one, as per yahoo sports:

Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Joni Pitkanen is a minus-19 this season and his game seems to have regressed after a promising sophomore campaign.
    Those numbers don't bother the Edmonton Oilers, who have reportedly offered forwards Joffrey Lupul and Raffi Torres for the rearguard.
    Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

Brutal. Kevin Lowe is good, but I'm afraid of this one.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Forsberg could still be a force ... if doctors can ever figure out that feet-transplant thing.

6. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Is anyone aware of an online resource where Wayne Gretzky's game-by-game statistics are available?

Thanks.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh. Dear. God. Is he trying to make the playoffs or throw the season into the shitter?

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't think there's enough bandwidth in the world for those kind of stats ...

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, I have not.
    When was it published?

EDIT: Published originally by the long defunct Ryerson Press in 1967. I'm assuming Jim Hunt is the late Canadian sportswriter/columnist who was in the biz for over 50 years.

I can get a copy in good condition for about $18.00. Thanks for the heads-up.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The bout's up on youtube. Boogaard is so woozy he goes towards the wrong box at the end, and eventually off the ice.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had an NHL type tell me after watching Tavares live for the first time earlier this season that he had the potential to be a Joe Thornton-type that only a handful of defencemen could deal with. He also said he'd never want to coach him and anybody who's seen him glare at his coaches in Oshawa knows what he means.

As Mizzou would say, he's a fucking stud. World-class release and shot and, as my boy Fly said, he's always in the right place to score.

And Mr Friend O' is right: the 'shwa has a great new barn although I found myself humming Saga's immortal "Up On the Catwalk" whilst trying to make my way to the press box. Definitely not a walk for those - like me - who are afraid of heights.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Huggy,

The worst press boxes were:

London's old one--Harry Houdini once got stuck in there, the Human Fly made it halfway up a bare ladder and then a sharp 90 degree turn on your stomach

Windsor--first game there I parked my laptop and the plexiglass shield at front of press box tumbled onto the seats below ... second oldest rink still in use where a reg-season NHL game was played, original paint

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted