1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Dat was sum good old-fashioned fisticuffs, right dere.

2. Maple Sugar

Maple Sugar Member

I once had a panic attack walking the catwalk at Copps Coliseum. Made the mistake of getting to centre ice and then looking down. It took Tom Watt a good five minutes to coach me across.

Scariest press box (I use the term loosely) ladders have to be at St. Mike's and Sudbury.
    I'm sure Fly remembers the luxurious facilities at Oak Park... IIRC we had to burn our press notes once to keep warm.

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly "endorsing" the proposed trade, but Pitkanen stats are somewhat misleading. His plus-minus is so bad because of the team. Before the Zhitnik trade, he was the only worthwhile defenseman the Flyers have had and he plays close to a half-hour a night. So he can't help but be on the ice for his share of goals.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I liked Pitkanen as a jr. A full year with this Philly team and he's Aki Berg. He'll have no confidence left.

YHS, etc

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

www.hockeydb.com for the season-by-season stats.

Game by game? For Gretzky? Good luck finding a Cray 1 to process that one ...

6. Flash

Flash Guest

But would Edmonton be the place to go? And should they really dump Lupul?

7. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Given that Edmonton lost Tarnstrom, Spacek and what's his name, the guy with the bitchy wife, it seems to me that Pitkanen would fill in depth at the blueline.

Plus they've got loads of depth at forward.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

How is it possible that Cuthbert is doing this game? Is he on loan from CTV/TSN for one day?

What's the oldest? Boston Arena?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've had my problems at Copps too, but at least it's enclosed. The one at the GMC is wide open. Made the mistake of looking down once. My first time in Saginaw was an adventure too. Get up there, not knowing where I'm going and the fucking lights go out for their pre-game. Pasted myself to the wall until it was over.

Done the ladder thing at St. Mike's and Sudbury, but for me the worst one - along with the accompanying press box - is Kingston which is more vertical than the other two. A hell of a climb loaded down with a backpack and laptop.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Central Scouting has just released its mid-term top prospects rankings for the June 07 draft

. ANGELO ESPOSITO C (Quebec Remparts)

2. JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK LW (U.S. under-18 team)

3. SAM GAGNER C (London Knights)

4. PATRICK KANE RW (London Knights)

5. KYLE TURRIS C (Burnaby Express)

6. KEATON ELLERBY D (Kamloops Blazers)

7. JOHN BLUM D (Vancouver Giants)

8. KARL ALZNER D (Calgary Hitmen)

9. BRANDON SUTTER C/RW (Red Deer Rebels)

10. TOMMY CROSS D (Westminster High School, Conn.)

11. TREVOR CANN G (Peterborough Petes)

TOP PLAYER: ALEXEI CHEREPANOV RW (Avangard Omsk)

TOP GOALIE: MARK OWUYA (Djurgarden, Sweden, juniors)

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/170025

Question for Mr. FOF: Gagner ahead of Kane?

If you want to see the complete listings, go here:

http://www.nhl.com/futures/index.html

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

[/quote]
    Bill Houston has a piece on Hockey Day in Canada in today's Globe.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070110.wsptruth10/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

They'll be broadcasting the non-games part from Nelson, Bc, a beautiful town of 10,000 in the BC interior.

The show will open with a shot from the mountains near Nelson, which unlike many regions of Canada has a metre of snow right now. MacLean believes the town, situated in the Selkirk Mountains and on Kootenay Lake, is the most picturesque of the seven Hockey Day sites.

Native son and former NHL player Danny Gare recommended his hometown when he heard the CBC wanted to take the show to British Columbia. In addition to its location, it has a strong tie to hockey. Joe Patrick, a lumberman and father of Lester and Frank, lived in Nelson. The Patricks, of course, organized hockey on the West Coast and have been key figures in American hockey.

I'm gonna be a total couch potato on Saturday. (Hi, HC!)

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/926487.html

Draft saved Draft deleted