1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I liked what I saw of Cross at the summer 18s. He wasn't even on the radar at that pt while another US defenceman named Petrecki was prelim Top 10. Now Petrecki, a USHL guy previously and a complete blockhead who basically cost the US the final vs Canada, is in the nether regions of round 2 (maybe 3) and Cross is Top 10. Interesting case because he's coming out of high school hockey, hard to project, don't know if they'll take him to spring 18s.

YHS, etc

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Neat CP story about the disappearance of a ring from the Stanley Cup:

Eventually, everyone's time on the Stanley Cup runs out.

This year, it came to an end for the 13 championship teams from 1940-41 to 1952-53, their ring on the storied trophy retired to the Hockey Hall of Fame's vault to make room for a new crop of winners.

The new ring added to the base of the Cup in time for the start of the current season includes two entries: One for the 2005-06 champion Carolina Hurricanes; and another that reads simply, ``2004-05 Season Not Played."

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/170006

Andy Bathgate makes a good point about losing your place on the Cup. I suppose they could make the base of the Cup wider in order to keep more teams on longer. It's not like the trophy hasn't already changed shapes and sizes several times before.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ah, Andrew Brunette. Not fleet of foot but incredibly smart on the ice and great with the puck, especially in close. He still holds the Owen Sound franchise records for goals (62), assists (100) and points (162) in a single season and remains our only OHL scoring champion (1992-93).

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Big drop for Logan Couture, going from No. 1 to 11 on the NA skaters list, but I have to believe that's due to the mono he went through. He's certain to bounce back by June.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, Double J, now the Sound has two Brampton guys: one of the hardest working guys in the league, Howie Martin, and Phil "Hey, I'm a Leafs Draft Pick" Oreskovic.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just saw him play last weekend. Good player but no way he's number one anything.

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Sorry for being late back to this.

At that price I guess it would depend on your interest in the subject matter and author. There are chapters on Plante, Broda, Durnham, Bower, Crozier, Sawchuk, etc. The "New Wave" of goaltenders is also covered. It also has a chapter covering the 1966/1967 season playoffs, highlighting Sawchuk and Bower. Fun, quick read.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rough
    Just searched the title at abe.com, best place in the world for used books. Cheaper editions but if I was going to buy it, I'd pay a little more for a first edition.

I didn't see Broda or Durham play (barely :)) but since I have an interest in the history of the positionn, I'll put it on my birthday list (Hi, HC!)

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

JR,

We both need to make amends.

Apologies to the Durnan family.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Solid effort by the Rangers tonight, only losing 4-0 in the second period.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Your post got the blue shirts off their asses ... they've scored twice since then.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Lazy, ex-Communist overpaid elderly mercenaries [/he says, hoping they score more goals...]

Draft saved Draft deleted