1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Never said Brodeur was better than Sawchuck – who in my mind is the greatest of all-time – just that he is close to eclipsing one of the all-time great records, IMO. However, Brodeur is still one of the best ever. I would put him ahead of many goalies, including Patrick Roy.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Any truth to the rumour that the entire league is going to this standardized look (obviously swap in the different logos, etc)?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Baby Jesus.
    Long piece in of all places USA Today on the new jerseys.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2007-01-18-new-uniforms_x.htm

To stave off the kind of player revolt that derailed the NBA's composite ball from Spalding, the NHL and Reebok incorporated feedback from the NHL Players Association, general managers, retired stars and even draft picks. Nearly all 750 NHL players, from superstars to enforcers, have been personally fitted by Reebok, Jennings says. More than half the teams have practiced in the uniforms, O'Toole says.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Hannu Toivonen and I are SO OVER. Just wanted to get that on the record.

Thank you for your attention.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Talking to the Bruins fan at work tonight (we're both listening to NHL web audio). As soon as the Pens' screwed the pooch on the 5-on-3 I say to her: "You know what happens when one teams blows a 5-on-3, right?" Seconds later, the puck is in the Pens' net.

Damn.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK, procedural question.

Gonchar takes a (dumbass) penalty in OT with 1:12 left to play in OT. So we go 4-on-3. Why not start hauling guys down left and right? You can't have fewer than 3 skaters, right? In regulation, the time would just roll and you'd stay down two men. Is there anything built into the rules for such a situation late in OT?

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Caught the end of this one. Fleury made some amazing OT saves, including one with his pad after he had lost his stick.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Canes coach Peter Laviolette obviously was not enamored with his team's play tonight.
    <a href="http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/011807_lavs.mp3">
    Listen to his 36-second postgame press conference</a>

10. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Penalty shot.

At least that's what it was in the late 70s. Tie game late in the third, Philly goes two-men down. Thinking it won't hurt, Bob "The Hound" Kelly (not to be confused with Bob "Battleship" Kelly) jumps the boards to play 5-on-4. Penalty shot awarded to Tornoto.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I burned a ticket to go see this one myself.

I understand Laviolette's position. The first goal looks like some foul-up I see out of the minor-league team I cover. The power play was awful ... got booed by a fan base not known for riding the organization, at least the on-ice product.

Offense in 5-on-5 was sad ... Caps scored in three seconds on one power play ... defense was awful (John Grahame instead of Cam Ward in goal). Pulled Grahame twice in last two minutes. Two quick goals.

5-2. Laviolette pissed. Justifiably so. Paul Maurice would have been good for a deadpan or two following crap like that. And thank goodness I got one of the $10.29 tickets ...

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No. McPaper story said some organizations would experiment more with vertical striping to see if they can better go with the new uni flow. But luckily, most of the players in the NHL have been consulted (750 according to story) and the even more form-fitting ones many were originally envisioning isn't coming to fruition.

One good point, though: It's still more difficult to conceal injuries which might be addressed with extra tape and/or padding.

Draft saved Draft deleted