1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I suspect it's more coincidence than anything. I would imagine the all-star date was set a couple of years ago. But you're right, there may be a total of 987 Americans watching the game. :)

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A little generous with that count there, JR.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I meant 98. :)

I'm actually looking forward to the Youngstars and the Skills Competition tonight. The game itself is horrible--not as bad as the Pro Bowl--but almost.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Without Jeremy Roenick in the game, nobody will finish their checks. Clearly, the All-Star Game isn't real hockey.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

People are looking at the schedule the wrong way. I can't stand this unbalanced setup. It gets old seeing the same five teams play for an entire season.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm with you.

The league thought it could create divisional rivalries which is hogwash in the regular season.

Real rivalries are created in the playoffs. Now, there are a few exceptions (Edmonton/Calgary, Toronto/Ottawa) but who gives a shit about the third game in two weeks against the Bruins?

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The NBA plays the same amount of games and they've figured out a way to have every team play each other at least once.

Considering Bettman came from the NBA, you'd think he'd be able to figure that out as well (but maybe I'm giving him too much credit).

Saw these two items in the Free Press today:

Interesting comment from Montreal Gazette sports editor Red Fisher, on the All-Star Game:
    "It has no credibility now. ... The game no longer is what hockey is all about. No hitting. No shot-blocking. Not even a hard stare."

And yet Former Wing Brendan Shanahan, on what else needs to be streamlined more: "I just don't understand how a cop can walk down the street in a bulletproof vest and look normal, and yet our goalies have to look like lacrosse goalies, or Michelin Men, in order to stop a puck."

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think the support for this unbalanced schedule comes from certain eastern teams who save a considerable amount on travel expenses. I suspect it's mostly an economic thing more than anything.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I agree with Shanny (even if I'm still not much of a fan of his), but the whole goalie pad/jersey downsize movement has absolutely no steam until someone other than the guys who get paid to score steps up and talks about it. And that's DEFINITELY not going to happen if anything is done to the nets.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Future Stars games starts with a goal about 3 seconds in.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And just like that we're tied. This game is going to give the commissioner wood.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I presume both sides are playing without goaltenders...[/dripping with sarcasm]

Draft saved Draft deleted