1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Has the rule for awarding shootouts changed, or am I losing my mind? Wasn't the rule always that the attacker had to be in the clear and uncontested from center red? J. Staal's PS last night came after he stole the puck near the CBJ blue line.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As a media member, I will miss Bob Clarke. He is one of the last of a dying breed: someone who will say whatever he wants to say, media training be damned. There aren't enough like him.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Has anyone got a link to the webcasts? I can't seem to find it on yahoo.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Elliotte, you mean like, "We didn't ask Roger Neilsen to get cancer".
    I thought Clarke was absolutely bulletproof.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Double J, a lot of people in Toronto don't know where Mimico is.

If you check Shanahan's bio, he always lists his birthplace as "Mimico" instead of Toronto or even Etobicoke. So does David Bolland .

"Mimico" hasn't existed as a separate village since I think the late 60's.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The next game is Vancouver-Dallas on Monday. Here's a link to the main scoreboard page. The little vidcam with "Live Video" beside it will turn into a link close to game time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/scoreboard?d=2006-10-23

You can also get to it through the main game page, but that won't be live until Monday.

Edit: After Monday, the next game is Wednesday's San Jose at Detroit game. It looks like they then skip Thu and Fri before going live with Saturday's LA-Dallas game.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mustard
    Got it. Thanks. Very cool for those of us who don't have NHL Centre ice.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

No shit. Bobby decides to finally bail out from running that ship into the ground for years. Hitchcock didn't deserve to get clipped (I admit 1-6-1 is too early to run him out), but I understand their synopsis of where they want to get the Flyers back on track.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I remember at the draft in Nashville when Bettman announced that Roger Neilson had passed an announcement went through the press area that Clarke would be available to talk about Neilson. Should have seen the press area empty.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pohl plays on the Leafs' fourth line with Bates Battaglia (another great guy) and Ben Ondrus.

They don't play much but Paul Maurice singled that line out for the job they did in the Leafs' win over the Blue Jackets on Friday night. Pohl scored in that game.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't think the red line has ever been part of the rule.

The NHL Rule book defines a breakaway as:

A player with a "breakaway" is defined as a player in control of the puck with no opposition between him and the opposing goal and with a reasonable scoring opportunity

I haven't seen the clip of the Staal play.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Trying to remember ... I watched it at 2:30 this morning on the DVR after getting in from work. I'm pretty sure he was in the clear, but it was just a second before he got mauled. So I guess I'm just imagining the red-line part of the rule.

Draft saved Draft deleted