1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Parcells retirement -- Page 1 headline in the Fort-Worth Star Telegram and Dallas Morning News. All Star Game: 14-D in FW -- albeit a colour display at back of section. Page 37 of the DMN, I believe. Hockey is definitely catching on down South

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Attendance is up in ALL of our markets!" [/pinocchiobettman]

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Speaking of attendance, some numbers from this week's Sports Illustrated:

- Leaguewide attendance is down less than 1% from the same point last season
    - St. Louis' average crowd is down 8,657 fans from the same point last last season
    - Hockey Night in Canada is drawing 13% fewer viewers for Game 1 on Saturday nights and 30% less for Game 2
    - The LA Times is staffing Kings and Ducks road games on a trip-by-trip basis
    - And only 80,000 of a potential 14 million viewers in the LA area watched Game 3 of the 2006 Stanley Cup Final

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Attendance is only down 1% leaguewide from a year ago but last year's attendance figures were some of the highest ever, correct?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because even diehard Leafs fans are getting sick of watching Toronto getting their asses kicked and seeing Andrew Raycroft do his best impersonation of Patrick "Nobody Scores from There" Lalime.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

By the way, Canada, and hockey fans in the United States, there is a chance that "Hockey Night in Canada" will broadcast a tribute on Saturday night to five 16- and 17-year-old hockey players from Thornbury, Ontario, who were killed in a car crash last week.

They played minor hockey in their hometown and for their high school team in nearby Meaford. The school team was supposed to play a game last Friday afternoon in Walkerton but the game was postponed, so these boys apparently decided to spend their free afternoon at a local ski resort. They died after the SUV they were in went out of control on the highway between Meaford and Thornbury and was hit broadside by a cargo van.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentID=373335&catname=Local+News

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/174229

Both my wife and I have family in Thornbury (population approximately 1,500), which is about a 40-minute drive from our home. Meaford isn't much bigger than Thornbury. All five of these young men were popular and well-respected in their community and in their school and, as you can imagine, this tragedy has just ripped these towns apart.

HNIC producers have reportedly been in contact with local minor hockey officials and would like to pay tribute as part of Don Cherry's "Coach's Corner" segment in the first intermission of Saturday night's broadcast. If you are able to, please watch or tape HNIC in memory of Morgan Fitzgerald, Michael Fleming, Andrew McKean, Michael O'Hara and Drew Perry.

RIP, boys, and God bless your families and loved ones. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

P.S. Kind thoughts should also be directed to Rodney Gibbons, the 60-year-old man who was behind the wheel of the cargo van involved in the crash. He was not at fault and is recovering from his injuries, but obviously he'll also be dealing with a different kind of hurt, one that doesn't show up on an X-ray or an MRI.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have spent plenty of time in Thornbury and Meaford over the years. Great part of Ontario, in winter or summer, but there can be some nasty weather at this time of year.

Some reports I have seen have speed as a factor in this crash. Either way, another timely reminder to ALWAYS WEAR A SEATBELT!!!!

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Can someone tell me why this sport that is in desparate need of marketing is playing its All-Star Game on a Wednesday night with limited TV (Versus?) access instead of being on NBC on the "dead" weekend before the Super Bowl?

I'm sorry but this is a sport with a death wish.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Agreed. Asshattery is afoot.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I think you're right.

However, I'm not sure how this season's numbers are calculated. There has been plenty made about fans getting in to see Panthers games for literally free. So, do they count paid attendance or asses in the seats? That's a big question.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

It's so poorly marketed that I didn't even know it was a Wednesday game until I saw the skills comp. and Young Stars Game on TV last night.

It's been three years since an NHL all-star game and I just assumed it was Sunday afternoon, as always.

This league hasn't done anything right in decades.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Short answer: Gary Bettman is a blithering idiot.

Draft saved Draft deleted