1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thanks, Huggy.

Some research revealed that he actually got to have dinner with his younger brother Tom on that stop, as the Gophs were in Columbus kicking the holy shit out of OSU.

Pohl was always regarded as one of the weaker pro prospects on the Gopher NC team (Taffe and Leopold got all the love in that regard) but JP was always a gamer, with a knack for finding the net.

Battaglia went to BC, IIRC.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Used to be a guy had to have a good step or two on the defender but I've seen them called where a guy was trying to get clear of a guy hooking him.

It should never be called if a guy gets a decent shot off or if a diving defender hits the puck before knocking the player over but I have seen both of those instances result in penalty shots already this year.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Battaglia went to Lake Superior State.

Pohl was a solid player with the Toronto Marlies in the AHL last year. Good to see him rewarded with a shot at the Leafs.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Have heard Pohl interviewed a couple of times. Sounds like a good solid guy

5. Flash

Flash Guest

No. But holy hell that Datsyuk goal was a thing of beauty ...

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Maybe so. Like others have said, I thought he was bulletproof. But his obsession with constantly trying to create the Broad Street Bullies was almost funny. It would make sense, except they usually weren't tough, just cheap. Not only as in cheap-shot artists, but also not wanting to pay for a half-decent goaltender, which helped explain the musical chairs always being played in front of the net by the organization.

Firing Hitch wasn't necessary, but I guess the organization views it as tossing out the baby with the bathwater. Oh well ...

I know what you're saying from a media point of view, Elliotte, but from a fanboy point of view of someone besides Philly, good riddance.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I sat beside Bob Clarke on a flight one time--a woman came up to him and said, "I know you ... I don't know how but I know you."

A scout nearby said, "Try hockey ... try Clarke."

Quoth she: "Oh my God, Wendel Clark."

He was really good about it. Look, his judgments have been good and bad over the years, like a lot of others in the game. He was great to me anytime--I mean, anytime--I ever needed anything. Hitch, no less, absolutely a first-rate quote and a guy who thinks about his answers. They'll work again if they want to--Hitch probably tomorrow.

And Mr R, I always liked that Paul Coffey listed his birthplaceas Weston.

YHS, etc

8. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Don't you think they have to change, not just the bodies, but the philosophy in the Flyer organization? Paul Holmgren is just another bully. Unless they open their eyes to the idea that you need mobility and speed and puck movement on the blue line, who gives a shit who gets to call out the name of their first draft choice?

9. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

I would disagree about Holmgren being another bully. Well, he was one as a player, but he's a thoughtful and smart executive. (So, for that matter, is Hextall. Definitely not the raving loon he was on the ice.)

Holmgren had a lot of input in drafting -- which the Flyers have done extremely well -- and building the Phantoms int a strong AHL organization. He deserves the opportunity.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I ran into Holmgren in the hallway at a junior game not too long ago. He still looks like he could go 10 rounds with Stan Jonathan.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Mr. F,

It could've been worse. She could have ID'd him as Clark Gillies.

And Weston is one of the few other places in Toronto that have successfully maintained a separate identity of sorts. I think it's wonderful.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr J,

Weston high school ... the Iron Men ... great football jackets (team not so good back in the day).

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted