1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

While the shift at the top may be the start for the Flyers, they have to change the bodies in there. The trouble is no-one's going to want to take a bunch of old, slow players off their hands. Holmgren is going to have trouble doing that, even if he understands you need more Gagne and Forsberg and less Hatcher and Rathje.

They may be biting the bullet on this one for a while, unless they can buy people out.

2. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Uh. Yeah.

It was late. Sue me.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Double J and Mr. Friend

I'm waiting for some draft pick to list his birthplace as "The Theatre District".

And Mr. F, having read your piece about the next leader of the Liberal party, I know you're not moving to Mimico anytime soon.

BTW, best football jackets were the Richview Saints when my eldest played there. Red leather with gold trim.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why wouldn't he move to Mimico? It's not like Ignatieff lives there, he just "represents" the riding. And after he loses the leadership race, he won't live anywhere in Canada -- again.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm not even angry about the goal. That thing was amazing, but I'm trying to decide if the hit that turned the Oiler insideout to set it up was better.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Their best chance may be to creatively talk Hatcher into retirement, and then just deal with Rathje until the end of his contract. Rathje isn't going anywhere because of his contract and at 32 he is still relatively young. But one slow lumbering defenceman on a team isn't too bad, especially if he is capable of playing on the PK, it's just when they have so much money tied up in two of them. How much you want to bet he could have recinded either of those deals to throw more money at Kim Johnsson this summer.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Today just got a lot better for me. I will contend there is no better way to start a day than to have someone phone you up out of the blue with free tickets to an Oilers game, no strings attached, except to go have a good time.
    I haven't been to an Oilers game in I think four years, price, availability and work schedule has made it difficult. But to be given tickets, and then actually be able to use them, it just doesn't get any better. Plus it is Phoenix coming to town, so I will get to see Gretzky coach and boo Comrie for 60 minutes.
    I am at a loss for words on how to express my gratitude, this lady is up for sainthood in my books.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Absolutely!! (oh crap, that's twice I've agreed with an Oilers fan in the last two pages! ;) ) Football players should be jealous of that block. That was a hellish good play.
    And for Datsyuk to cap it off by spinning that defenceman (didn't see the name) was perfect.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Have a great time. Am hoping enough people start jumping off the bandwagon here so I can squeeze a couple of tickets out.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It was Danny Markov, and I think it was either Moreau or Pissant he nailed ... not sure

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Watching TSN The Reporters last night (the rebroadcast at 1 a.m. my time) and they said every game has been sold out in five of the six Canadian cities, the only exception being Ottawa. I couldn't affoard them anyways if they weren't sold out.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What's with you guys in Edmonton? You still haven't got over the Comrie thing?

Enjoy the game. Should be a guaranteed win for the Oilers. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted