1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He was offered a position after he retired. If I were to guess, Ron wanted some time off with the family, et al. I'm willing to bet the offer was always on the table. Even Peter Karmanos isn't that dumb.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Friendly yahoo live video reminder:

Pens-Sharks. Tonight.

I know of at least one newspaper missing deadline. ;D
    DVR is good. Live games ... better.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good Lord, hell has frozen over.

At the end of the second, it's the Leafs 4, Buffalo 1.

Maurice has these guys on their game.

4. Sam Mills 51

Good for Mo. You don't think that Carolina got to the Stanley Cup finals in '02 because of wondrous talent, do you? :)

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Soccer called. It's interested in Darcy Tucker and Hal Gill.

For Christ's sake, can these two stop falling/flopping like they're shot?

6. Sam Mills 51

I didn't know they were Italian. :D

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leafs win 4-1.

Sam's team comes back from a 2-0 deficit against Ottawa and wins 3-2.

Maurice had the forwards forechecking vigorously (well, that's my word for it) and the Sabres d were having a hard time moving the puck out of their own end.

Sundin got two.

8. Sam Mills 51

Thanks JR ... I was watching the comeback (to hell with college football for two-plus hours, usually not easy to do except my colleague on the desk also likes hockey - yeah, not your typically deskers in the South). Nice comeback by the Hurricanes, made more important by the fact that the Sens had Gerber in the net.

If it's Mo, it's forechecking. Lots of forechecking, dumping and chasing and cycling the puck. Live it, learn it, love it.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great game between Boston and Tampa Bay if you like goals...not so great if you're a fan of good goaltending.

I like goals. :)

EDIT: Same story in the Phoenix-LA game, where the Coyotes are leading 6-4 in the second period. CuJo apparently started for the Coyotes but got yanked after allowing two goals on three (!) shots.

And a scary opening to the Pittsburgh-San Jose game. Jonathan Cheechoo of the Sharks got thrown out in the first minute for an ugly check from behind on a Pens defenceman. Crosby was right there when it happened and he was all over Cheechoo.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm posting this here and on the books thread.

Just finished Stephen Brunt's "Searching for Bobby Orr". May be one of the best hockey books written. Almost as good as Dryden's "The Game" and equal to any of Roy MacGregor's books.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'll agree with that.

Have you read "The Rookie" yet, JR?

BTW, there's an excerpt from Gare Joyce's upcoming Piestany book in the current issue of Toro. Good stuff. :)

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Just for the record:

Draft saved Draft deleted