1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

2-5-1. They beat Phoenix and Washington, at least according to the notes.

It's got to be tough to make 42 saves and then have your own team only generate 16 shots.

Hasek has a good W-L record now, but he's facing so few shots, his save percentage can't be that wonderful.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Sens lose 5-4. For the third straight game, they score the first goals, jump out to an early lead and fail to hold it. The trade winds are blowing.

Getting back to Paul Maurice, IIRC he's the coach who, at a post-game news conference, responded to a question about the power play by saying, "yeah, yeah, we're working on it" and then waited to see who picked up on the Reggie Dunlop reference. How can you not love a guy like that?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Knowing Mo, that was done in perfect deadpan. But pretty much bet that he's the last guy you'd ever picture bursting into a locker room exclaiming "We're looooosing!"

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As a junior I saw Torres lay the same hit on Kevin Dallman of the Guelph Storm (now with the LA Kings) and busted Dallman's jaw. Torres also laid a memorable hit on Williams in the CHL Prospects game in Toronto.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Torres....another fine Brampton alumnus.

That hit was something else. Too bad about Williams though.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was at the OHL Awards at the Hockey Hall of Fame in June and Maurice presented the award for Coach of the year. He talked about his days playing in the OHL and reminisced about his days as coach of the Detroit Jr. Red Wings which won the OHL title in 1994-95.

He said despite winning it all he lost Coach of the Year that year to Craig Hartsburg. He paused and said, "But I'm not upset about that." The place cracked up and he stood there, perfectly deadpan: "No, really, I'm not."

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I wonder if Darren McMillan is having flashbacks of his hospital visit courtesy Mr. Torres.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Compare and contrast Maurice versus Quinn.

The extent of Sundin's injury was made quite public yesterday.

"Torn ligaments, out three to four weeks."

Under Quinn, "Upper body injury, day to day".

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

What about this, though?

"Mo, Mo, what did you say to him??"

"I told him his wife was a dyke."

"No."

"Yeah!"

And here's how Maurice could've handled the Sundin injury announcement, using a mute Sundin as a prop:

"Look at his arm. Somebody threw a fucking tire chain, hit him right in the elbow. Scratches, made by human fingernails. This kid has taken a savage beating."

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Beef is very pissed. Worst. Fucking. Game. Ever. Roloson was hung out to dry. lost in the fact they didn't get a single shot in the first period is that they also gave up something like 45.
    I have a little theory running here. With Roloson's crusade to rid the NHLPA of Ted Saskin and this new law suit that he and Chelios are trying to bankroll by sending out funding requests to all of the NHLPA, I wonder if he has rubbed some of his own teammates the wrong way and they have quit on him or are sending a message. It would be interesting to see what the difference in play would be if they stuck Jussi in net for a game.
    Absolutely deplorable.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It was a great hit. Williams should have had his head up looking what was in front of him instead of admiring his pass. I am glad he is OK, though. I still think Markov's hit on Stoll in their game in Edmonton was better though, litterally turned him inside out.

Unfortunately this will just add fuel to TSN's mission to eliminate bodychecking.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Beef, not entirely true about TSN

Healy said categorically it was a clean hit.

They've dragged out this "Well, in the OHL, you're penalized for hits to the head". Glen Healy (not last night) responded: "Well, go play in the OHL for $50.00 a week)

Healy's my favorite colour guy now. Maguire's toned his act down but he's still the Rachel Ray of hockey.

Draft saved Draft deleted