1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm glad someone else got to it first so I didn't seem like the ignorent red neck from out west. Not at all saying women can't do the job, but find someone who does something beyond stating the over obvious, someone who is not monotonous and carries a little excitment in their voice. I don't want a female version of Pierre Maguire (shuddering at the thought right now, coucelling may be needed) but there has got to be some kind of happy medium, not polar extremes. Please tell me she has some background in broadcasting that made here eligible for this job, beyond being a pretty face and a former national team cornerstone. Just because she played doesn't mean she should be on air. I don't think I would want Gretzky doing colour either. She was brutal the weekend before doing sideline interviews (I know there are no sidelines, but you know what I mean). Was this a sudden realization by CBC, the 'Oh shit what have we done' reaction that they panicked and decided to see what she could do in the booth? Considering the talent that they have let walk in the last couple of years – Chris Cuthbert, Brian Williams (At the time I applauded the decision, but he has not been bad since goign to TSN, they have kept him focused on one area) – as well as threats to let other mainstays go – Like Ron McLean and Don Cherry (at this point on Don I'm thinking it may just be better for the guy to retire, despite his past glory, he is definitely past his prime) – I am very disappointed with their new up and coming group. Elliot Friedman may be the only salvageable one there, although Hrudey is slowly getting better.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Maybe for a few years in the '90s but I can think of more than 10 players I would want on my team before I got to Sundin, especially now. He is a career point per game player on a team that prided itself on being freewheeling. Not saying he's horrible by any stretch, but you put him in say San Jose where he doesn't have national media propping him up, I think he may fall from that Top 10. It's not an anti-Toronto thing, I just think there are better players out there. But 500 goals is definitely a big accomplishment in this day and age.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, but Naylor was filling in for Michael Farber. I guess Howard Berger was unavailable.

It doesn't have to be, but I'm willing to go along with the majority. I only started posting here regularly because you were (monkey see, monkey do).

It's not a CBC thing, unless you believe that Tie Domi honestly deserves to be working anywhere other than in B'ling-duh's constituency office.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No, you don't sound like a western red neck. All the TV media columnists - like the Star guy - probably find it easier to say what a good job she did rather than coming off looking chauvinistic when questioning her credentials for that assignment. Cole was even lost too because he had to make some colour points or prompt her to talk about something which he never has to do with Harry Neale.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Howard Berger was too busy trying to figure out how to get his kid a press pass for Wednesday's game against Colorado.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Cassie Campbell was uneven but given the fact that she was a last minute replacement for Harry Neale who was stranded in Buffalo because of the storm, she was OK. Made some good points but also stated the obvious too often.

And Bob Cole is a senile old fool who should have been retired about five years ago. And he kept calling Cassie "Girl". I guess it's a Newfie thing.

Cut her a little slack. She wasn't as bad as Tie Domi and if you want to play a game, think of the female verion of Pierre Maguire: I'm thinking Nancy Grace. (The thought boggles the mind)

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I was wondering what had happened to Harry Neale, and I agree he's not much better anymore. To show that I'm not just hammering on CBC and Cassie Campbell, I believe I made a statement sometime last week saying how bad Domi was.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My only point Beef was that she asked to do it virtually at the last minute and I think she did an OK job. She was brutal at times but made some good observations at other times.

And Harry Neale is still an entertaining guy but I prefer him when he's paired up with Looserfanboy Leafs announcer Joe Bowen.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I didn't see the telecast, but it seems to me most of the 'sideline' stuff is pretty much obvious anyway.

As far as background in broadcasting ... how many former players of any sport have broadcasting backgrounds?
    Tie Domi doesn't even have the 'pretty face' thing going for him.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If Harry Neale's lost a step as an analyst, it's a step most guys - including the deplorable Pierre Maguire - never had.

Harry's always entertaining , especially when he's teamed up with Bowen.

I agree Campbell - an alum of my high school for what that's worth - was in a tough spot but I don't know if she'd be any better with a week to prepare.

11. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Cole is past it all right, but his call on Sundin's goal was great: Saturday night, full arena, cheering crowd, big goal and the game winner for his beloved Leafs by his favourite guy -- had to be better than sex for Bob.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The sideline reporting wasn't just obvious, she was stumbling over questions and just wasn't very good overall. If she was asked last minute to fill in with little or no prep time, well good on her then. I just don't want her back in the booth.

As I said earlier, just because they played the game doesn't mean they can be a broadcaster, although this is something TV execs all to often forget. My guess with Domi is they were going for a character personality, but they struck out badly. As a journalist, I find it insulting. There are many more qualified journalists and broadcasters out there that get passed over for this crap. Not saying I should necessaraly be there (I am cursed with a Radio face), but I think my point still holds true.

Draft saved Draft deleted