1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Sens played a penalty-free game tonight against the Flyers. When's the last time any team did that in the NHL?

Philly did almost as well, picking up only three minor penalties, one in each period. And will wonders never cease? Derian Hatcher recorded his first point of the season, collected a game-high six hits and was named the first star!

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Hopefully Malkin scores a couple of goals for RonTugnutt'sgroin...

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

By AngrySkatingBirds, I meant the Pens ... not TheCrosbyShow. Which isn't performing nearly as well as last year. And if Tugger's groin ever wants to unload Malkin [waits for laughter to die down] just let me know. You never know what TCS will do, as evidenced by the site's unanimous disapproval of Gionta/Lecavalier for Hossa (which I still don't think is as lopsided as it was made out to be).

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I remember there was a Leafs-Bruins game that was entirely penalty-free about 4 years ago or so. And the Leafs were also shut out, meaning that not one Leaf got on the scoresheet for any reason whatosever.

EDIT - looked it up. March 28th, 2001.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I did some searching too. On February 20, 1944, the Leafs and Chicago played a scoreless, penalty-free game, the first and only such instance in league history. The referee was Bill Chadwick and the game took only one hour and 55 minutes to play.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I, too, am skipping the shopping crowd as I'll be at the Ducks-Devils matinee (1 p.m. PST) on Friday.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Everyone take a break from their turkey and watch some clips of arguably the best fighter in the NHL today --Derek Boogaard.

And all these guys he's taking on are heavyweights.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Wish I could be at the Canes-Bruins matinee in Boston today...those matinee games at the Boston Garden are some of my best memories from college.

B's are losing 1-0 in the final seconds of the first. (sigh) The FleetCenter/TD Banknorth Garden/whatever era has been a lame one for the Bruins.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Yahoo's got Pens-Isles live now.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

JR's a movie star. (No, not me, Roenick).

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1164322250475&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home

Jeremy Roenick has occasionally been accused of being a bad actor. Tonight, the assessment will be tested when he appears with Jennifer Love Hewitt on CBS's Ghost Whisperer.

In the episode, a former baseball player tries to take over the body of a high school pitcher, with Roenick playing the star pitcher's coach.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

JR seems pleased enough with his performance to be plugging it on his website...

http://www.jeremy-roenick.com/index2.htm

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup ... 'Canes finally got whatever they were dragging around both sides of the City out of their system. Looked a lot better against Boston. Basically finished in the second after a nice finish by Justin Williams, then Erik Cole went in seconds later for another score to make it 3-0.

I dunno what was killing them in NY (help, HB?) but with any luck, it's gone now.

Draft saved Draft deleted