1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

MacLean spoke to Colie Campbell about that before the Bruins-Leafs game tonight. Apparently, there have been some GMs (and Don Cherry) who have complained that the new shoulder pads are directly responsible for the accumulation of head injuries. The pads are so big that they inadvertently hurt the hitee, while protecting the hitter.

I was in the Rangers locker room last week, and was shocked at the size of the pads. Brendan Shanahan has pads that look like they were handed down from Bobby Orr. Contrast that to the NFL-esque pads that a guy like Adam Hall wears.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Jordan Staal about to take a penalty shot in OT against the Rangers.
    Damn. Save.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think it's great that Time Warner Cable subscribers in New York City--and I am one--can't watch the Rangers because they are on something called MSG2.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

FWIW, Lange's making it sound like you're missing a GREAT game.

Edit: Straka wins it with 2 seconds left in OT. Well, dayum.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Last I saw, it was 1-1 in the third. Again, it's okay. I don't want to watch the Rangers. Really. [/cursing the motherfuckers that work for Time Warner Cable in NYC]

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Edited previous post. Straka goal w/2 seconds left.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Thank you.

Rangers have been playing good hockey in the last two weeks. Jagr's shoulder must be getting stronger, because he's been shooting the puck.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

HB, I believe that those are literally the same pads that Shanahan wore as a bantam (age 14).

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Don't look now...but the Pred's are pulling away in the Central Division, thanks to last night's shellacking of the Red Wings...

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=StandingsPage

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Devils need to leave the West Coast with at least one victory (lost to Phoenix, Anaheim, San Jose) ... HELLO Kings!

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's a combination of things that have maybe made the high hits a little more prevalent. One the pads are definitely an issue. There is no need for hard plastic on the outside of the shoulder pads. You may as well be cracking theguy over the head with a baseball bat. two, the inability for enforcers to opperate propperly are letting guys take full runs at players and it is only a matter of time before a star goes down. Three, Refs will call everything, except charging where a player leaves his feet to make a hit. To me this is as bad or worse than a knee and is something completely controlable all of the time, unlike a knee where a lot of the time I believe it is bad luck on both parties. Start throwing guys out for leaving their feet to make a hit and I think you'll start to see some difference. Four, injuries happen, it is a contact sport. If you're surprised or upset if a player gets hurt playing the game, you probably shouldn't be a part of the game. Hitting has always been a part of the game – high, low, or otherwise – taking it out would be like turning football into flag football. It is as much a responsibility on the part of the player getting hit to protect himself as it is on the player delivering the hit not to go out of his way to injure the other player. It is something that should be taught as soon as players are taught to hit.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Jersey's biggest problem is that they are not scoring goals. The Devils have scored 48 goals in 22 games, an average of 2.108 goals per game. Brodeur's great, but even he can't win 40-to-50 one goal games. Eventually, Lamirello is going to have to call up or trade for a scoring forward.

Draft saved Draft deleted