1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sorry, but when were the Cardinals "a great franchise"?

From wiki:

The Cardinals have historically been known as a chronic loser. They were NFL Champions in 1925 and 1947 and last played for the NFL title in 1948. The team has not won a league title nor played in the championship game since then, and thus currently holds the NFL record for the longest championship drought. The team has also won only two division titles (1974 and 1975) since their 1947 NFL championship. Despite being the oldest existing professional football franchise in the United States, the Cardinals have an all-time postseason record of 2-5 (not counting the 1964 Bert Bell Benefit Bowl).

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think he was speaking to general ineptitude amongst owners. Very surprised he left the Ford family off the list.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

No one will ever displace the late-but-not-lamented Harold Ballard, who destroyed the Leafs pretty much singlehandedly after stealing the franchise away from the Smythe family.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, but all Canadian owners are detracted due to the exchange rate. :D

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

On a lesser scale of underachievement, Dallas is busy tanking at Detroit. Stars entered third period leading 1-0 and now trail 2-1 thanks to two shorthanded goals. And no, it's not Turco's fault. Complete ineptitude on the power play is the issue. Dallas must do better than this to keep pace with the Quacks and the Sharks.

EDIT: Detroit gives the Stars a chance with a penalty in the final minute of regulation...Stars have 44 ticks of the clock in which to tie...

SECOND EDIT: Well, the Stars didn't give up another short-handed goal. But they didn't score. Wings win, 2-1. The Stars radio color guy is about to bust a blood vessel at the way Dallas played the third period...

Dallas gets a chance at redemption when they travel to the United Center Wednesday night.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not to mention the pedophilia.

You know, as much as everyone rags on Ken Dryden's long windedness, after he became President of the Leafs, he resolved the horrible pedophilia issue and restored some glory to that fucked up franchise.

I've met Ken on numerous occasions and he's about a decent human being as there is. (He also kicked my ass at Scrabble during a literacy fund-raising event)

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Double J, I fixed it so it would make more sense to what I was alluding to. I used "great" as a general term (which is dumb on my part) to explain on how owners can ruin a professional sports team by trying real hard to fuck up.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Up until this year I've never been much of a Darcy Tucker aka Sideshow Bob fan.
    Guy is having a career--he's on pace to score 50 goals.

When Sundin went down, Tucker picked up the slack. So, here' you have 5'10" Tucket nailing 6'9" Chara in last Saturday's game against Boston.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

For all the complaining that Tucker did about Mara coming after him, he should actually thank his lucky stars it was Mara in the first place. Because Chara was right behind him, and we've seen Chara toy with some pretty big boys in the past.

The guy is a punk. Simple as that. He's got no problem taking six steps to hit Chara before he'd touched the puck, or taking six steps followed by flying elbow on Sami Kapanen, but he won't even look at Chris Neil.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sea,

You're right. Tucker is a punk. Just that he's less of an idiot than when he first joined the Leafs. And he is scoring goals.

Yes, remember Chara tossing McCabe around like a rag doll.

Chara didn't seem fazed by the hit at all. Just got up and skated back into the play.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

12. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

Irish - That was completely expected for the Stars vs. Detroit. The Wings are completely in the Stars head, much like the Avs are come playoff time. They completely change their style of play - they back way the hell off instead of playing their usual high-pressure style.

Consider this - the Stars scored four PP goals in their last game against the Kings, and have slowly been getting it back on track this season. Their big strategy was quick passing to set up screened point shots. Against the Wings? No movement, no tape-to-tape passing. Nothing. It's completely in their heads.

And as a Stars fan, it's really annoying to watch, but completely expected.

Draft saved Draft deleted