1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Without geting back into it, you cannot deny the fan's right to be absolutely pissed off with Pronger. And that we are, loserfanboys or not.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Beef, my friend.

As an Oiler fan you have every right in the world to be pissed off.
    I was pissed off too--for about five seconds and then I didn't care. :)

That doesn't mean he owes anybody an explanation. Big difference.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

You see I Don't know how to feel about that. At one end he should be entitled to his privacy, but at the other end, it's a complete chicken shit move on his behalf.

4. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

My gut feeling is the Stars are a little more banged up right now than they're letting on (though that's nothing compared to the injury hell the Hawks have gone through). Morrow's out, Daley's out, Ott's out, Modano and Zubov are banged up, Boucher's mind has to be anywhere but hockey right now.

That said, if they want to be considered one of the elite teams, they're going to have to play like it and stop it with the third-period collapses.

With the Wings, the Stars have tried tons of things. They actually split the season series with them last year. Maybe they'll throw Smith out there agianst them next time. Even though he's not been playing as well as his record, he's definitely been good and probably deserves a chance.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I thought the Stars were due for a tough season this year. Their line up heading in seriously did not impress me all that much (U think in my preseason preview I had them missing th eplayoffs, so no, I am not some Johnny comelately). That being said, I think they had been playing over and above themselves to this point and are finally falling back down to earth, aided of course by injuries.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I posted this on the jobs board, too, but thought it might be worthwhile for any hockey fans out there too. Sports jobs fair at Staples center in Los Angeles on Dec. 7 prior to a Kings-Nashville Predators game. Registering for the event also gets you one ticket for the Kings-Preds game.

http://www.workinsports.com/event.asp?id=74

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Go to the fair, get a ticket to the game. Oh, how much further can hockey fall?

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Okay. Yahoo! offers live NHL games on its website. Well, then, why can't I watch the Ducks/'Nucks game tonight?! This is pissing me off!

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

This isn't the first time they've done it. What is funny is that this will be the third one they've done and the third time Nashville has been the Kings' opponent at Staples Center.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

In sticking with attendance for a second, here's David Shoalts' column on how bad it is in Florida.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061103.wspt-shoalts-03/BNStory/GlobeSportsHockey/?query=

Some lines that stand out: There are also questions about how many of those who do show up are actually paying for their tickets.

For example, some of the media stopped by an establishment near the Panthers' rink after the game for a bowl of soup and a glass of warm milk. Their attention was soon drawn to a large number of coupons near the door that offered four upper-deck seats free — four! — to anyone who turned the coupons in at the box office. "Nobody pays for Panthers tickets," one of the local residents said.

Also, I saw David on a TV broadcast saying that Florida has also offered these promos in the past:
    1) Show your Florida driver's license and receive on ticket (anywhere in the rink) half off.
    2) Buy one seat, get the other FOR A PENNY!

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Gary Bettman: "But...but....attendance is up ALL OVER THE LEAGUE!!!"

Meanwhile, Winnipeg and Quebec City remain on the outside looking in.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted