1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

JR, I think they said it's Healy tonight. I saw the promo yesterday.

I'm not sure how easy this is going to be for Cuthbert (who, like you said, is the best in the biz). I wouldn't want to cover a game from ice level.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, if anyone can do it, Cuthbert can.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Agreed. I was so pissed when CBC threw him aside because of a difference of opion and for speaking his mind during the lockout.

The man should have been the next great voice of hockey play-by-play in Canada.

At least he still calls Esks' games on TSN.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've met Chris a number of times and he's a great guy.

However I don't know about this experiment, more from his point of view than the guy at home. Rinkside is hardly the best vantage point - particularly for plays in the corners on your side of the ice or stuff in front of the net with loads of bodies around - and while you'll hear some great stuff between the players, you won't be able to use much of it on air. If they're just going to watch off a monitor (and how much room will there be anyway? - yikes) they might as well be upstairs.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

From where Cuthbert was standing last night, during TSN's promo spot for it on Sportscentre, it looks like they've widen the space between the benches. But I agree, this is going to be TOUGH.

I remember doing junior hockey play-by-play in rinks that were built without play-by-play in mind. Once, I was in the corner of the rink, behind the netting. Not easy. Not at all. You couldn't see the corner in front you and you were miles from the opposite end.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

On Yahoo tonight, it's a soft-goal contest between the Pens and Devils. Through 1, it's NJ 2, Pittsburgh 1.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Take this for what it's worth: I will give money to any player who breaks their stick over Pierre Maguire hairless skull.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Evgeni Malkin is freaking brilliant.

9. The Jets and the Nordiques are missed...when I tell folks I was an Avs fan when they were the Quebec Nordiques, people look at me like I'm speaking some other language...French Canadian I believe it is.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Pull the plug on the Panthers and move them to Quebec City. Put the team in the Northeast Divsion. Move the Leafs back to the Norris Division (Central) to make room for the Quebec City team. Move the Predators to the Southeast Division to make room for the Leafs in the Central and replace the Panthers in the Southeast. Fixed.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

What about when the Penguins move to Kitchener?

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nice article in Monday's London (Ontario) Free Press about Gordie Howe, still hanging in there at 78. He'll be in London next month for a sports celebrity dinner and auction.

Still a warrior

It's tragic what has happened to his wife Colleen. She worked so hard to make sure Gordie and other former NHLers got what they had coming from the league, notably its corrupt pension fund. God bless her.

Draft saved Draft deleted