1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The Star did a lengthy feature on the Howes in the Sunday edition yesterday too. I didn't read it but they gave it the middle two pages.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

4. Sea Bass

Spezza and Bouwmeester were 16 year olds that made it too. In the same year (the 2000 tournament).

Should Tavares make it, he'll be the sixth 16-year-old (with Gretzky, Crosby, and Lindros being the others not already mentioned).

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Forgot about Spezza and Bouwmeester. Was that Butler's team?

6. Sea Bass

I don't think so. I think he coached the 2001 and 2002 teams.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Claude Julien coached 2000.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks, Elliotte.

Burnside piece on Darcy Tucker, formerly known as Sideshow Bob.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=2682379

One night during a 2002 playoff series against the New York Islanders, Tucker reacted to an official's call by hoisting a white towel on the end of his stick. Sitting next to him on the Leafs bench, Alexander Mogilny looked up and yanked the towel down, shaking his head with disgust.

I must say he has toned down his act considerably but he'd still give Greg Luganis a run for his money.

9. Sea Bass

Which is why Mogilny was one of the few Leafs I could stomach during the Quinn era. His immense talent aside, he seemed to refuse to get drawn into the "poor us" shtick that Tucker, Corson, McCabe, etc. liked to spew on a nightly basis. It seems that a few Devils were against that stuff; Ken Daneyko was another.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sea, they took their cue from Quinn because he always had a "us versus them" mentallity.

As big a Leafs fan as I am, their constant whining became embarrassing after a while.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Are you driving all the way down from the Middle of Nowhere? :) Huggy's got a game that night in Mississauga so he can't make it.

I've extended the invite to a couple of other Toronto SportsJournalists.comers. Beer and hockey books. What more could you ask for?

We're going. We'll probably take public transit rather than drive.

It sounds like a blast. I originally found it kinda funny that Pages Books was sponsoring a hockey book night. It's such a left wing, artsty, Queen Street West kinda store--great bookstore but the owner Mark Glassman doesn't strike me as a hockey fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted