1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Yeah, I's just baitin' all the Canucks who aren't from the Center of the Universe. It's fun to watch.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Just heard on Sportsnet that all six Canadian teams are in the Top 10 of attendance so far this season.

And, they say St. Louis has more empty seats than full.

And, lastly, and shockingly, the cap will rise next year! Where in the hell is the league making money!?

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

We American hockey fans would like to thank you Canucks for keeping the sport alive, by the by.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Honestly though, the Canadian dollar is weaker than the Greenback. We all know that.

And arenas in Florida, St. Louis, Chicago are virtually empty. To a lesser extent, so are rinks in Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina, and LA.

So, how in God's name can the NHL claim to have a revenue increase?!

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The Ducks sold 11,000 season tickets and they have a better TV/radio package than they've had in a long time, perhaps ever, and I think the Anaheim fans are going to keep the Honda Center people quite happy.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Kitchener, the home base of the Penguins' new owner, is 72 miles from Toronto and 100 miles from Buffalo. It's outside both cities' 50-mile territorial limit.

http://www.kitchener.ca/visiting_kitchener/location.html

The population of its Census Metropolitan Area is about 500,000, a figure that does not take into account the many nearby cities like Guelph, Hamilton, Brantford, Stratford, Burlington, Oakville, Milton, Brampton, Mississauga and St. Catharines. It's fair to say there's at least another two million people living within an hour's drive of Kitchener AND outside the boundaries of Toronto.

Put it this way -- if Los Angeles-Anaheim can support two NHL teams, southern Ontario can easily do it.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Way west of Yonge.
    I've PMed you directions.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Apparently though it must be up enough in other places to help make up some but not all of the difference, but the bigest thing is ticket prices are up, and with the NHL being as gate driven a league as it is, this makes a huge difference.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

No, other cities, you can't have the Penguins.

Not Yours.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

for now.

buwah ah ah ah ah ah ahhhh ;D

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I doubt it. LA itself has 3.8 million people living in it.

Mississauga, Hamilton, Brampton, Kitchener, Waterloo and Guelph have a combined population of 2.118 million - and those projected numbers for the year 2006. Not to mention all of them have AHL or OHL teams.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

But at the same time the Kings and Ducks are competing with the Clippers, Lakers, Dodgers and Angels as well as other things I'm sure I'm missing. AS well one has to consider the actual hockey fan base in Mississauga, Hamilton, Brampton, et al to be much larger than the one in LA.

Draft saved Draft deleted