1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Sep 21, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fixed your post.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Olympic Gold medal, a Conn Smythe and I believer a World Junior Championship

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Nieuwendyk is the Headliner this week, and it was real interesting calling around to get some background.

He was not drafted in 1984, the first year he was eligible. That was after playing Junior B in Pickering. The next year, he was a second-rounder.

Cliff Fletcher (then Calgary's GM) and Al Coates (later Calgary's GM, who was in media relations then), both told me by phone that the Flames were going to take a goalie with the 27th pick. They had three guys on their list -- Sean Burke, Troy Gamble & Kay Whitmore. All three were still available as New Jersey prepared selection number 24. The Devils took Burke. No problem, said the Flames, we still have two left. At number 25, Vancouver took Gamble. Well, said the Flames, there's still Whitmore.

Guess who Hartford took at 26?

So Fletcher and his scouts are sitting there saying there's no other goalie worth taking here. So, they moved to the guy next on their list: Joe Nieuwendyk.

Another former GM laughed when I told him that and said, "If it was me, I wouldn't admit it."

The other interesting thing about the guy was how he had no enemies. Anyone in this business knows if you offer enough guys some anonymity, someone is going to say something bad. This guy was beloved.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the Headliner, Elliotte. It's on the pre-game show, right?

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Gordie Howe hat trick alert:
    Anaheim's Shawn Thornton has a goal and a fight halfway through the first period against Washington.

6. ondeadline

Thornton got the Gordie Howe hat trick with plenty of time to spare:
    -a goal at 57 seconds of the first
    -a fight at 3:00 of the first
    -an assist at 7:16 of the second.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

To my mind, a far more impressive feat than a basketball triple-double.

I wonder how many times a double Gordie Howe hat trick (two goals, two assists, two fights) has been done?

8. ondeadline

Well Thornton didn't come close, although he did have four shots on goal.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

The most honoured hockey player in history in terms of national and international awards -- Scott Niedermayer.

He has won a Memorial Cup, a World Junior Championship, Stanley Cups, an Olympic Gold Medal, a World Championship and a World Cup of Hockey -- every championship he's been eligible to win.

Oh yeah, and some Norris Trophies too. :D

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Niedermayer is a winner. That's all. He's done it at every level he's played and is a great leader. Wish he was still in Jersey.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Drake got suspended for two games.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Double J, forgot about Scott N. Good one.

If I had to do a Sophie's Choice, I'd take Niedermayer over Pronger any day.

Draft saved Draft deleted