1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose NBA Thread I

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Kable

Kable Member

All-Star Starter Votes:
    East
    G Dwayne Wade
    G Gilbert Arenas
    F Lebron James
    F Jermaine O'Neal
    C Dwight Howard

West
    G Steve Nash
    G Kobe Bryant
    F Carlos Boozer
    F Dirk Nowitski
    C Amare Stoudemire

Who did you vote for?

2. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

dirk is the mvp so far. best record in the league, with no other all-star on the roster (don't tell me stack is still anything).

i like gilbert a lot, but the wiz are two games behind the magic and 6-11 on the road. the wiz also give up 106.8 points per game, second-worst in the league. with such a lack of concern for defense, it's no wonder they score so much.

kobe is doing his work without two starters now, and the lakers are still finding a way to win -- in the west. so he gets some votes, too.

3. Kable

Kable Member

Last time I checked, the Mavs have Josh Howard AND Jason Terry, both all-star caliber players. Try again.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Tell all of you the truth, I don't even think Nash deserved the MVPS that he got the past two years. The first one should've went to Shaq and the second to Kobe. And please don't tell me that Nash does it all by himself. He's got ALOT of talent on that team. Plus, with the type of offense they play, he BETTER lead the league in assists.
    For MVP, I'd say Kobe because of the way he's changed his game. He knows when to score 40 and when to get 20 and 10. He's got the Lakers 5th in the west with some average players. Kudos to him AND Phil Jackson.

5. Lord, where do I begin ...

1. The season before Nash arrived in Phoenix the Suns went 29-53. Starbury was the PG, and averaged 20.8 points and 8.3 assists per game. Not awful numbers. The team also had a healthy Amare, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson and Leandro Barbosa.

2. In Nash's first season the Suns went 62-20 -- a 33-game improvement. Amare, Marion and Joe Johnson took big steps forward statistically. You think they did that by themselves; or perhaps Nash should get some credit for finding his teammates in position for easy baskets?

3. Last season, sans Amare and Joe Johnson, the Suns won 54 games and Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, Barbosa and Tim Thomas became much better players. If you think that's just a coincidence, then tell me, how is Thomas doing this year without Nash?

4. As far as the style of play -- he BETTER lead the league in assists? You're telling me Marbury would lead the league if he were on the Suns? Or Billups? Or Jason Williams? The only player for whom I can see that argument is Chris Paul. Maybe.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Never said Starbury was Steve Nash. Amare was not the player that he was with Marbury. In that year(with Nash), he averaged 38 against the Spurs in the playoffs. Those didn't come from easy baskets. Tim Thomas was never a great player. The only reason people said he played well last year was because he made some 3's, that's it. Boris Diaw and Leonardo Barbosa are very talented. And Shawn Marion is top 15 type of player. Finally, Billups would definitely lead the league in assists if he played for the Suns.

EDIT: Nash isn't the greatest defensive player either.

7. You never mentioned defense in your original post. Hell, no one on the Suns is that good of a defender.

Also, do you honestly believe Billups would lead the league in the assists with the Suns? Really? He's only finished in the top-10 in assists once (in 2006) in his six-year career.

I'm cutting off the argument now, because I just remembered you're the guy who posted 300 or so times defending Michael Vick. Feel free to keep posting, but I'm done with you on this subject.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Have you ever watched Chauncey Billups play? Ever?

EDIT: And don't talk to me as if I'm below you. I could care less if you leave this argument. I'm not begging you to have a debate with me.

9. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

Sugar Ray Richardson was a great talent, but he was NEVER the scorer that Gil is, even on his very best days. He had better point guard instincts than Gil, and he was a bigger and better defender on the ball, but Sugar never scored more than 20.1 ppg in his career. If he had been asked to score more, he might have been able to average 23 or so, but he was never the pure shooter/pure scorer that Gil is.

Your friend may have some years on you, but this comparison doesn't stick. And I was in NY and NJ during Richardson's greatest days.

10. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

well, last time i checked, neither has ever made an all-star team. try again.
    howard deserves to make it this year, but he is behind kg, duncan, dirk, melo, battier, marion, and lamar odom. but howard is ahead of carlos boozer, who is also having a nice season.

terry is a nice player, but no all-star. he's an undersized shooting guard. without dirk he isn't much. just look at his year's in atlanta.

11. Kable

Kable Member

When you say that Howard is behind those players, do you mean "All-Star Voting?" I'm just wondering how Shane Battier is having a better season than Josh Howard.

All of those other players are having great seasons and Boozer > Howard this year, but Howard >>> Battier.

Jason Terry...I see your point. Nicely played. Small Captain Morgan.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dwight Howard had 30 and 25 last night? Holy crap.

How old is he?

Draft saved Draft deleted