1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-white basketball league. No. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sneed, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Have you BEEN to some of the public schools? There's a reason people put their kids in private schools, and it's got nothing to do with race. In many cases, in rural areas especially, choosing the MAIS school over the public school is the lesser of two evils.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Since there won't be any danger of something hanging lower than the hem

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Those shorts, we'll be able to tell if they're of Jewish descent.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Plano White Ts

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

News flash. The same problems going on in the public schools in the great state of Mississippi are going on the private schools. I find it funny that people spend thousands of dollars to send their kids to schools to be taught by teachers, many of whom aren't accredited. In many Mississippi communities, the trick is to send white kids through the public school system until the sixth grade, then switch them to the private school. Why?

6. ripple

ripple Member

I've wondered that. Was that a rhetorical question?

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The Vidor Vanilla.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have also heard that minority orphans will be sitting in the best seats while white businessmen and their trophy dates will be sitting near the rafters.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The knock that all or most of the teachers in Mississippi private schools are not accredited and that the schools themselves are populated by the children of racists is just as much an incorrect stereotype as the notion that all or most of the teachers in Mississippi public schools are incompetent and the schools filled with ignorant, out-of-control kids from the 'hood.

There are a lot of very good private schools in the state that offer an excellent education, and there are also some fly-by-night church schools that offer little more in the way of education than your average Sunday school. And there are many very good public schools in the state (not all of them in white-majority suburban areas) that are turning out tremendous students, and there are some public schools that are little better than holding pens for the next generation of inmates at Parchman.

And, just for the record, my kids all went to a public school.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

What you said is true and we're just adding to the stereotypes with our posts, but my question about why many white parents in Mississippi (which happens in other places but for now, we're talking about the Magnolia State) send their kids to public school for the first six years and to private schools the next six years still hasn't been answered.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Nah, Fort Wayne. That way Dane Fife can be the official greeter.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I really don't know, and to be honest have never noticed it. Maybe it's a money issue, maybe it's a convenience issue. In my area we have four basic groups of private school kids:
    1) The ones whose families have gone to the school for several generations
    2) The ones who live in a different town and commute in because the rural schools here -- public and private -- are horrific
    3) Athletes who are either kicked out of public school for some transgression, fail out, or just want to play sports but aren't good enough to hack it at the public schools
    4) The ones who have been at the private school the whole time

Draft saved Draft deleted