1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reporter who made us look bad...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Jul 31, 2011.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Agree completely. Slam the guy if you like and if he deserves it (which he does), but that's more than just piling on to ask the coach what he thought about it, a week after it happened. It's fucking stupid to waste a media day question on something like that. Like Ferentz thought about it for 2 seconds after it happened, and like that's something that your readers/viewers are clamoring to read/hear about.

Ed may be at the head of the dumbass line for asking for the autograph, but whoever asked Ferentz about it at media day a week later is not horribly far behind in that same dumbass line.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm a believer that we in the media can rip each other among ourselves all we want, but we should never rip another media member to an athlete/coach/GM etc.

Enough of them already lack respect for what we do that we don't need to let them know that some of us don't respect each other. Just bad form IMO.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Fine if you don't expect a coach or player to rip a peer.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I know most of them consider it poor form to rip each other publicly, which is why we make such a big deal about it when they do.

I think it's particularly bad when a media member rips other media to an athlete as a way of building a relationship with that athlete. ("Yeah, those guys are jerks. You can trust me because I'm not like them.")

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's bush league. Who was the moron that asked that?

6. Johnny Dangerously

Agree, BB Bobcat.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I was not there. Only saw the transcript.

8. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

I asked our beat guy who was at Ferentz's press conference if he knew who asked that question. He said he thought it was someone from the Omaha World-Herald. For what it's worth, I went to the OWH website and they had nothing up from Iowa media day.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Torn.

Readers don't care. Not news. Good that it isn't treated like news.

But sort of miss the days when you could ask a question and not wonder if the whole world would know about it two minutes later.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What was the context of it? Was the question tossed at Ferentz as he already was walking off the podium? Was it used to segue into another line of questioning?

The handwringing about the question is worse than the handwringing about the autograph (which, of course, is a huge no-no to ask for it).

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The handwringing about both is just about right.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

From looking at the transcript, the question came at about the midway point of Ferentz's press conference, and came on the heels of another question about Nebraska.

In fact, Ferentz was asked a question about if he was tired of answering questions about Nebraska. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted