1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reporter who made us look bad...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Jul 31, 2011.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'll see him Friday at Iowa's media day. I'll pass up the opportunity for both of us. :)

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I am truly glad somebody has my back in this sticky situation.

3. lobwedge

lobwedge New Member

I'm told by a reliable source that the Big Ten media relations people were not happy about Ed's antics and that they are considering not credentialing him for next year's event.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

stop considering and make it so

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

dcc - I agree with you and I agree with Elliotte. You have made and excellent post and EF makes some excellent points.
    I come in somewhere right in the middle. One of my crew did this? I'd be royally pissed. Is it wrong? We all know it is wrong. But such righteous indignation? C'mon. Roll your eyes, call the guy out a bit and move on.

We have many, many, many bigger problems in our industry to get this worked up over this.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, really I do.

But this story arc becomes so predictable after a while.

Clueless journalist does something that embarrasses the profession, gets rightfully called out for it -- for 2.67 pages.

At that point, the worm turns and the sensitive crowd points out that the journalist in question is a stand-up guy, and that none of us are perfect either, and that we have so much more to worry about.

1. He's a stand-up guy who embarrassed the profession.

2. If any of us did that in a news conference, we would and should expect to be hung out to dry. That's not a matter of superiority. It's a matter of upholding the levels of the profession to which we SHOULD aspire. If that makes me superior, I'll wear the nun's hat or whatever.

3. Yes, we have so much more to worry about. And look at your threads. Everybody's worrying about all that, too.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yes, my market has That Guy. Biggest douche I know. Not only does he pull crap like what Ed did, but he's horribly unlikeable, too.

8. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

Whether he spelled it correctly or not, why would a man his age put in an email like that that a woman was "pretty sharpe?"

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't know if it's JR or Shotglass who wrote that post, but I agree entirely.

My biggest problem is that public perception is a huge issue for journalists. This flap only certifies the opinions of some that sports journalists are a bunch of loser fans who enjoy the spotlight.

And that there are so many qualified journalists without work only makes it more offensive that this guy has what has to be considered a decent job for someone who is willing to live in Hastings, Neb.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Maybe Eddie meant she has a "pretty shape." Hey, if he does get canned, maybe he can go work for Bleacher Report. "That guy" would fit right in with "those guys."

11. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

Who was the subject of his email? If he was writing it to a buddy, that's one thing. But if it was a public explanation ... sheesh!

12. nck228

nck228 Member

I smell a new WAGs slideshow coming...

Draft saved Draft deleted