1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Reporter misrepresents herself to get interview with Steinbrenner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 27, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A lot of things have changed the outlook on this particular issue. Here's one thing that doesn't change.

Inky, people do NOT get a pass on being right or wrong because they've been around for a long time. I really wish we wouldn't think that's a defense for anything.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

but you know what?

That's probably the way AP would want it.

3. boots

boots New Member

I have been saying this for a long time yet people think that I'm some kind of shit stirer. The truth is MANY on these threads are wet behind the ears but think they know every damn thing. When someone tries to tell them differently, they rebel.
    Here's hoping things will change.

4. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Shottie, ain't that the truth.

What chaps my elderly cheeks is the hair-trigger environment.

[Sounding like a geezer here] Don't they teach the first rule of the newsroom any more? "If your mother says she loves you, check it out."?

Many of the nimrods must have forgotten.

It is a tad unpleasant to watch a pack of nimrods try to take on a true Nimrod. [The devil made me write that]. It never ends well.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Doubt it. This place jumps to conclusions at the first moment without knowing all of the facts. That will continue, sadly.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Deadline pressure. A killer.
    If I had a second chance, I would have said, "unethical." :)

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Then you would have only been factually wrong.

8. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Not to beat this dead horse into oblivion, but I still say that the original column note was an attempt to elicit the very response we saw on this thread. Otherwise, why insert the part about her saying she was an old friend?

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ira, I don't have any direct knowledge. But, I can only assume Murray saw the news reports -- just like the rest of us -- and didn't understand the context of "old friend."
    Taken literally, it's a pretty easy mistake to make.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Boots,

Didn't you say this on this very thread?

11. boots

boots New Member

Like many aholes along here, I spoke before checking out the facts. That's why I changed my stance.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

boots -- all over map and proud of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted