1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Reporter misrepresents herself to get interview with Steinbrenner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 27, 2007.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Sounds like someone didn't like getting beat.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Good overall explanation of the whole thing, to me.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Lying to get an interview is dishonest. Period.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Perhaps, I can help.
    Pat Milton phoned and left a message with the secretary. What was left as the message is not of importance. George Steinbrenner called her back. He returned the phone call.
    And, Steinbrenner knew who he was phoning. Milton is a reporter that has covered legal matters in the Five Boroughs for years, including the Howie Spira incident over 15 years ago. He knew who he was calling.

I'm afraid this thread has gone on for four pages with some misinformation.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Thanks, FW. We only know what we read in the papers.

6. fishwrapper

It certainly doesn't ruin the ethical question at hand.
    That said, this Steinbrenner/Milton story-incident shouldn't be the flashpoint for arguments. That's all.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Well then, I digress.

8. Not the best sentence you've ever written. :)

9. boots

boots New Member

The reporter was wrong and should be reprimanded. It's another reason why the press is frowned upon.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Why? Read back earlier. What did she lie about? She said who she was. She was a friend of Steinbrenner's, which is true. If, in fact, FW is right that Pat left the message and Steinbrenner called her back, where is the ethical problem here?

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you go back and read the NY Times item that started all of this, it said that she got on the call list, meaning Steinbrenner called her back.
    If a reporter needs to be reprimanded for having a source call them back, then that's like the stupidest thing ever.
    The only thing that would run in papers then is press releases and line scores.

12. fishwrapper

Earlier, I felt it not important to explain the message left with the secretary.
    But, it doesn't make much difference.

Pat left a joke with the secretary. You see, they're really not friends. It was tongue-in-cheek. They're old adversaries, having jousted in the past. It was a line to get George Steinbrenner's attention.
    There was nothing dishonest about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted