1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Reporter misrepresents herself to get interview with Steinbrenner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 27, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dammit fishwrapper, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
    She's obviously a lying liar, who probably slept with Steinbrenner first then took away his meds so that he would talk.
    How dare she call someone and have them call her back for a story.
    Fire her and fire her now!!!

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I know. I know. I watched this thread. I watched and I watched. I couldn't believe how quick we are sometimes to damn our own. I couldn't take it, anymore.
    Pat Milton is a wonderful, hard-nosed, veteran journalist -- not to mention author --and she didn't deserve to have her name soiled on these boards.
    A group of beat reporters got beat. And she beat 'em. Plain and simple.

3. fishwrapper

Perhaps this will help you guys out.
    She's considered the ultimate authority of TWA Flight 800.
    She's respected inside and outside the FBI.
    Some of you have four years of clips? She has four decades.

[​IMG]

4. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Thanks for the clarifications, fishwrapper.

Perhaps it was Murray Chass' column that was misleading, after all.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, Ira, there was noting misleading about the one sentence in Murray's column:

"The other day, however, an Associated Press reporter, describing herself to Steinbrenner’s secretary as an old friend, got on the call list and wound up with a rare interview. Good for her.”

The problem was the overreaction by some of our oh-so-ethical board brethren.

6. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

There definitely was an overreaction. No doubt about that.

But it also seems to me that there was an implication -- apparently a false one -- with the "old friend" line.

Was it a lie? No. Was it intentional? I have no idea. (Though I'm not sure why you'd include that comment if you weren't trying to imply something.)

Regardless, I think most people who read that column probably thought the reporter misrepresented herself. And that is unfortunate.

7. fishwrapper

FROM ABOVE:
    Chass' facts were correct, just little context...

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Oh, for the love of God, just let the hand-wringing and pontificating continue.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Quick, all undercover reporters, immediately announce who you really are and resign.

10. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

This picture is starting to get a little clearer. Maybe Steinbrenner simply respected her effort and called her back. Also, you guys can talk about her service repremanding her. But for what? As long as Steinbrenner knew who he was talking to, who cares how she got a call back? And now, the public knows more than it did before the interview. She should be commended for serving her readers.
    That said, if I was on the beat, I'd be pissed.

11. boots

boots New Member

Murray is a good guy but he does tend to make information make him look good. If George called the reporter on his own, then I have no problem. I was under the impression she misrepresented herself.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Murray never said she misrepresented herself. He said she described herself as an old frined and got on the call back list. That is a fact!

You people all jumped to the inaccurate conclusion that this was an unethical misrepresentation ... becuase too many people here like to bash other reporter's methods.

And I don't think there is a lot of hand-wringing going on among Yankees beat writers...they probaby initially blamed Rubenstein for setting George up with someone old Howard thought would be safe.

They also have a very good understanding of the strange way things work in Tampa nowadays.

Draft saved Draft deleted