1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Reporter misrepresents herself to get interview with Steinbrenner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 27, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Spnited, you and I both know that in the old days, we would've given her a pat on the back and try to beat the hell out of her on the next story with a different angle.
    Competition or rather the lack of it, has ruined sports journalism.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess you should be reprimanded then, shouldn't you?

Hell, I wouldn't care if she said she was Kennesaw Mountain Landis as long as she identified herself accurately before hitting George with the questions.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I just wanted to set the record straight. Pat Milton didn't deserve what was going on.
    Overnight, I received 12 PMs, from associates of Pat and AP staff writers, thanking me for clarifying the events. They were horrified, and rightfully so.

4. boots

boots New Member

That tells me all I need to know. End this thread.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

I remember a case of a reporter calling to get information and the reporter saying they were a member of a police department. That is misrepresentation.

What this reporter did - at the absolute worst - was to get around a secretary. Absolutely no problem with that.

Reporters have the same job, but not all reporters are the same. Bob Woodward gets his phone calls returned a lot easier than somebody from a mid-sized suburban daily. It's the way it is.

Because this reporter is a reporter covering courts and high levels of justice, it probably isn't as easy to duck her as it is a beat reporter.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Chill, Ragu. Dude recognized his error.

8. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Pat Milton has been a pro longer than most of you have been out of diapers. Jesus, nimrods, you're flying off the handle without a clue.

Anybody bother to do a Nexis search? If you had you would have found Milton's history with George goes back at least as far as Nexis goes — 1988. Do a simple search on Milton and Steinbrenner, and you'll find Milton has done several interviews with George.

Milton is a reporter. Milton gets the story. Most of the rest of us don't.

And those that really don't get it, assume Milton must have done something unethical.

One word: Bullshit.

Grrhhhh. Rant over.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Since I started this, it’s my turn to say I’m sorry.

Maybe I misread it, maybe Chass wasn’t clear, but it appears that Ms. Milton didn’t do anything wrong.

I’m sorry that her name was dragged through the mud on this site due to my post. That was not my intention and I apologize.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You know what's really scary, YF? A message board mostly populated by journalists didn't recognize the name of one of the top people in their profession.

Admittedly, a lot of AP reporters end up being woodwork because so many papers and WWW sites lop off AP bylines, but still ...

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's big of you guys. Way to go.
    I just warn, before we crucify colleagues on here, let's give them the benefit of the doubt.
    99% of us deserve it.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

How about changing the title of the thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted