1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently the Gallaghers are no longer trying to kill each other

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 27, 2024.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Police, although they're all 70-plus. Wiki tells me Andy Summers is 81 (yikes).

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As to Oasis, keep this in mind: The gigs are next summer. Plenty of time for Noel and Liam to resume their feud.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Two that will never happen are Talking Heads and The Smiths.

garrow and tapintoamerica like this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It's incredible they a.) got together for a tour that lasted more than a year and b.) that ended SIXTEEN YEARS AGO!!! I think the big impediment there is Sting is richer than God. Also, he and Stewart hate each other and almost ended the aforementioned tour after a handful of rough early dates.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Interesting to mention those two bands. I've read that they had the same songwriting style. The band would create a song and then the singer would put lyrics to it.

David Byrne seems like a miserable human being. I can understand the rest of the band not wanting to spend any time with him.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Morrisey is claiming AEG offered megabucks for a 2025 Smiths reunion and that he agreed but Johnny Marr ignored the offer.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/war-is-old-art-is-young

Talking Heads at least are cordial enough with one another to share a panel discussing the Stop Making Sense re-release, but they also apparently turned down a lot of money to reunite for a tour. I don't think any of them are hurting for cash. Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz probably could retire multiple times over just from everyone who has sampled "Genius of Love" alone.

https://www.billboard.com/business/touring/coachella-wanted-talking-heads-reunion-1235593270/

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

With the Talking Heads reference, I would love to see a Modern Lovers show. "Precise Modern Lovers Order Live" is top three with "Live at Leeds" and "Pet Sounds."

10. PCLoadLetter

Didn't know that about the Talking Heads songwriting process but it's not surprising. If you listen to Jerry Harrison's solo work from that era, it sounds a hell of a lot like Talking Heads. (And it's pretty damn good.

One thing about Morrissey - I have no idea if he actually had that offer or if he agreed to it, but he knew damn well that Marr is never getting on a stage with him again. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he said this just to make Marr look like a bad guy.

And regarding Talking Heads - I saw the last show they did before they filmed "Stop Making Sense." They are one of my favorite bands, but a reunion show would never touch the concert I saw. (And I kind of hate their last three albums.)

They seem to get along well enough to sit in a room together. I think they could work together for maybe five minutes before Chris Frantz assaulted Byrne.

Hermes likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Harrison's solo work is indeed strong!

PCLoadLetter and Hermes like this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted