1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we allowed to talk about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Please be true please be true please be true.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Looking like another liquidiation weekend.

BTC had an 18 handle on it overnight; safely below $20K now.

You are watching a lot of leverage / margin start to unwind.

What is scary is that even though yields have surged, and the moves in the bond market have been stunning over the last month, in real terms, nominal yields are still way behind inflation. If they catch up, this is going to get a lot worse for anyone holding bitcoin -- and a lot of other things that got pumped up on way-too-cheap money. You will hear a giant bubble-popping sound and we are going to find out just how much leverage there is out there, what crazy things it has been driving and the "too big to fail" talk will dwarf what you heard during the financial crisis.

I suspect the central bank will ultimately choose runaway inflation over deleveraging. And in a panic (how they behave), they will reverse the attempt to withdraw liquidity, and try to kick the can down the road yet some more. The difference this time is the inflation genie they let out of the bottle, which then creates the question of whether the bond vigilantes that have been thoroughly beaten into submission by them for decades can now wrestle control away from them if they try to keep yields from rising.

We are in for an interesting next couple of months, maybe years, and I think most people out there are thoroughly unaware. The move in bitcoin is a symptom of what I am talking about.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Oh, man. I can only imagine how much I would enjoy watching Mike Tyson beat the shit out of Jake Paul.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Tyson at 53 (?) years old would scare the crap out of me in the ring. He’s not the Tyson of old, but still.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Close. Turns 56 in two weeks.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Tyson isn't scared of Jake Paul, and Paul better be scared of him.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Another global financial crisis would be worth it to watch Tyson beat the shit out of Jake Paul.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I always round down to the nearest prime number.

10. Regan MacNeil

So the weather girl on that other thread is only a 5?

doctorquant likes this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

She's a 7. In her case, you round up.

maumann likes this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There is, apparently, a bitcoin ATM at the Staten Island ferry terminal.

Draft saved Draft deleted