1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you ashamed of the biased presidential coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Paper Dragon, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Paper, Obama himself has been repeating over and over to his supporters to not get complacent. I don't think he's taking anything for granted.

I'm going to throw my own two cents in here and repeat something a friend said the other day: the facts have a liberal bias. Look at both campaigns and tell me with a straight face that it is possible to give "equal" negative and positive coverage to each. The McCain/Palin ticket is simply a sinking ship right now, and much of it is their own doing. To ignore what's going on in their camp or force more positive stories would be more worthy of shame, in my opinion.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To a lesser extent, some of the MSM was in the tank for Bill Clinton in 1992. I think they did their jobs once everything started breaking about him.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The New York Times broke Whitewater

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I am very ashamed of the media's bias.

And it should be especially frightening that the fact could be pointed out to the guilty, and they still wouldn't be able to do anything about it. It's just too ingrained.

They think "being on the side of right" is more important than being fair-handed. And they refuse to recognize that the "side of right" is not an absolute.

That's scary.

5. mudduck

mudduck New Member

I do have a dog in this fight, a very little toy chihuahua type dog, but a dog nonetheless.

I wrote a couple stories related to a campaign stop recently. On our newspaper's online comments, my paper and myself were both accused of being liberal and being right-wing nut cases.

From the same story.

So much of this is perception it's not even funny.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lets be real. The media (with a few exceptions) doesn't just make stuff up, instead they amplify things, good and bad.
    McCain is the one who chose Palin. Palin is the one who was unprepared for her interviews, McCain is the one who was perceived as doing poorly by the people watching the debates. To not report this or to overplay negative Obama stories to "play fair" I think is dishonest. There has been a lot of criticism of Obama's policies, I just don't think it's registered with the public because Palin is the fresher story.
    I think the worst thing you can do is try and balance out a negative story with a negative story about the other candidate. Likewise with positive stories.
    The study was based on the six weeks since the GOP convention, which is roughly the time Palin was introduced to America. Obama and Biden have been in the public eye a lot longer than that. Take all the negative stuff that has been written about Obama and Biden over the years (Wright, Rezco, plagerizing) and compare it to the Palin stories in the last six weeks. I think it just seems McCain's received unfair treatment because the Palin stories have come in such a condensed period.

7. Boom_70

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just keep yelling "Lalalalalalalalala" with your fingers in your ears, Joe.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What makes you think the next two years will be different from the last two years?

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

How do you explain no one doing their jobs when Bush lied us into a war?

11. Boom_70

As said earlier The NY Times was complicit in helping Bush make the case for war. See Miller, Judith.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

To me, the biggest disappointment is the expectation of partisanship. I can't remember who it was, but when Palin was selected as McCain's running-mate, someone posted an off-air YouTube clip of a female conservative commentator ripping the choice. However, when this "expert" was on the air, she defended the decision.

That's what kills me.

Networks/newspapers/radio stations/whatever hire these panellists, and all they do is defend "their side," in most cases. There is no honesty. Very few of them will ever say, "This is bad," or, "We're making a mistake." Those doing the hiring are complicit in that, because they want confrontation.

Draft saved Draft deleted