1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE Tampa Tribune/Buccaneers coverage (and more)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Aug 2, 2006.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Doesn't take a Ph. D. to see the thread has been flagrantly hijacked.

2. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Someone is going to make you look like a fool when they trot out the list of APSE hall of famers without diplomas.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The two journalists I respect the most and have learned the most from do not have degrees.
    Both would probably tell you they would not get jobs today, or not the level of job they have/had.

I have a degree. I also worked for a "real" paper before earning that degree. Would I have been hired long-term without that degree? Who knows? I got the degree.

The diligence required to get a degree - at least back in the day - says something about a person. When I'm hiring, a degree may not be a dealbreaker. Without one, you better be really damn good. With one, you better be really damn good.

My point - yes, I do have one - is that this is indeed a business where you can succeed without a degree. It's easier with one, fair or not. At a lot of places, lack of a degree IS a dealbreaker.

A degree is NEVER a bad thing. NEVER.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

First of all, lots of great newspaper people have degrees -- and lots don't. This circular argument could go on forever. The only variable here is Meaty Pie's holier-than-thou attitude about it.

I'm not sure what the hell was meant by a degree separating a vocation from an avocation. I guess if somebody starts in the mailroom at GE without a degree and through smarts and experience moves up to CEO some day, he's just been dabbling all that time.

And why do I think if the No. 3 at the New York Times dropped the Tampa Tribune a line, sent a resume, said they wanted to move to Florida and outlined their vast experience directing pro football coverage for the Times -- but no college degree -- that the Tribune would probably listen?

5. Dan Snyder and Bill Gates were so lazy! They dropped out of college -- and Snyder didn't even drop out of an Ivy League school! He went to -- gasp -- Maryland for a year before dropping out and ruining his life!

6. donaugust

donaugust Member

I did none of the above and I still managed to get a four-year degree in four years.

7. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

So does any number of real-work experiences in the field. That is far more important than whether someone finished college. THere are many, many valid reasons why someone would not finish college; most of them have nothing to do with the "ability to finish what you started." Most of those same reasons would not fly at work however. It's your work track record that counts.

The degree thing may be important at the entry level, but it's rather stupid at the management level such as with this job posting. You are either a good editor capable of handing the job -- no, making it better -- or you are not. Degree has ZILCH to do with that. Proven track record as an editor has EVERYTHING to do with it.

Most hiring editors at decent papers know this; hence the degree thing is merely a way to cull the field. But they would hire someone good without a degree. You just have to have the track record.

Now, I will also say this: The degree requirement usually comes down from the degree-holding beancounters. You know, the same people who are ruining this business by taking the good stuff out of the newspaper, slashing staffs, cutting space and giving readers less reasons to pick up the newspaper.

8. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Actually, I think some of it is relevant.

The ad says degree required. Seems a rather important piece of the discussion: will they deviate from that, or not? (I think they would for the right candidate, as many papers will do despite job postings to the contrary)

9. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Parimutuels seems to be an odd thing to be thrown in with the Bucs and golf. Is that just to keep this person busy all year? (not like an NFL beat is year-round or anything) I wonder if this type of position would require a lot of on site coordination for game days or if the person would handle everything from the office. They've got to be looking for someone well rounded to balance this in print, TV and the Internet.

10. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

My guess is that the editor would coordinate everything from the office in most cases.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Parimutuels is in there because a: the Bucs don't do year round, although in the Tirbune they really do and b: because Penetti loved the horses and dogs. Whoever fills this has big shoes to fill, not only work-wise, but personality-wise in the office.

12. Grey

Grey Member

true, all of that. super guy who was very well-liked and respected, a combo that's tough to pull off.

also, mike worked on-site at home games (some had asked about that).

Draft saved Draft deleted