1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atkins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Jul 1, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You can argue about this forever--and the 60 million obese Americans will still not understand why they can't lose weight---but the truth is this:

Permanent and significant weight loss isn't just about calories. It's about understanding individual body chemistry: age, overall health, hormones, food allergies, insulin tolerance, metabolism, body type. Obviously, most people won't be able to determine that without sophisticated testing, but there's nothing wrong with trying different philosophies and listening to your body. If Ragu dropped a bunch of weight eating no meat, that's his answer. If Dooley dropped a bunch of weight on Atkins, that's his answer. You want to lose weight, find your own answer.

Diets don't work. You'll lose weight...and then what? The diet is over. You get fat again...unless you understand why you lost weight in the first place. There's so much good information out there about weight loss...I'm amazed by what people don't know (or don't want to know) about what they put in their bodies. They care more about the kind of gas they put in their car.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

For a second I wondered why there was a thread about Colorado Rockies third baseman Garrett Atkins in Anything Goes.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

21, Agree and agree, although I didn't drop a whole bunch of weight not eating meat. :) I just don't eat meat. I do it for a variety of reasons, not just health. I didn't stop eating meat to lose weight, and in fact, at times I have been heavier as a vegetarian that I ever was when I ate meat 16 years ago.

It's kind of the point. Me not eating meat was a lifestyle choice (with health implications) -- not a fad or a quick fix weight loss solution.

I also have never prescribed my lifestyle for anyone else. It's my life, not yours or Dooley's or Franks or anyone else's. I agree with the do what works for YOU, from a health and ethics standpoint--with the caveat below.

Where I do step away a bit from what you said is that you can do something that will cause you to lose weight that from an overall health standpoint is bad for you. And that is where I will tell people what they are doing is unhealthy.

Some things are inarguably unhealthy, including eating too much fat and cholesterol (even if you have your carbs down to zero and you are losing weight doing it) and eating so much protein that you put your body into a state of ketenosis. So what "works" isn't necessarily healthy and that has been my long-winded point in nearly all of these posts. I sure from knowing you the way that I do, that you'd agree with what I am saying, but maybe not.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I didn't say you should do something inherently unhealthy just to lose weight. It won't work long term anyway, because your body can't and won't allow it.

I'm saying it's all about chemistry. My best friend and I weigh about the same--around/under 120--and are both 5'6. She can eat white carbs (pasta, bread, etc)....she eats anything and everything. But she never finishes a meal, ever. She can take five bites, and she's done. I, on the other hand, won't touch the carbs, I can't. But I eat as much as I want, of the foods I want. Neither of us has gained a pound in a dozen years. But if we switched dietary philosophies, we'd be blimps. She can't handle the calories, I can't handle the sugar. Chemistry.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

21, didn't mean to imply you suggested anyone do something unhealthy to lose weight. I was saying that. "What works" can lead to people doing unhealthy things was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Now I'm hungry, dammit.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

He's having a terrible year at third base.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

But he is 2-2 with a three-run HR and 4 RBI after two at-bats tonight against San Diego.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is movie popcorn on Atkins?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not really.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Then fug it.
    I'm going on the Movie Popcorn diet.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member