1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's a good deal for the Tribe. At one point, Dave Duncan/La Russa talked of Perez possibly being among the "closer by committee" group this year, until they went with the hot hand of Ryan Franklin.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

For my friends in Chicagoland ...

I had this on the commercials thread, but these probably work better here.

Here's what watching a Cubs game was like in the 80s ...

"Paul Noce comes to the plate for the Cubs ..."

And for equal time, here's a Sox game on Channel 32 ...

"Jerry Dybzinski is pinch-hitting for Tim Hulett as Tony LaRussa warms up Jerry Don Gleaton in the bullpen ..."

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Saw Perez work an inning earlier this year in Cleveland and the guy has great stuff. At this point, as you said, a good move for both sides.

Best of luck to DeRosa, a class act.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Pirates deal Nate McClouth to the Braves while the Mets are in Pittsburgh.
    The Indians send DeRosa back to the NL to the Cards for no established major leguae players.
    Omar Minaya sits in Fluishing with his fucking head up his ass.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No knock on Perez, because I think he has a good arm, but there has to be a bunch of teams kicking themselves if that's essentially all it took to get one of the prime bats that will be moved.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Della: According to Shapiro, the PTBNL from the Cardinals could be along the lines of Michael Brantley, whom the Indians selected as the final piece of the Slobathia trade.

If that's the case, considering where the Wahoos are headed, that DeRosa is a free agent after the year and Perez's stuff, it works for me. Having watched this POS bullpen all season, Perez's potential is better than any of the Human Torches they've trotted out there.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This mention of Channel 32 has completely cracked me up.

Somewhere in UHF heaven, my grandpa is yanking the antennas on the TV so the picture will stop flipping while grandma is using the blender.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Surprised the Braves didn't try to get DeRosa. It's not like they need a bat or anything.

Or maybe they know from their first DeRosa experience that he's not a good player.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

The Indians suck. God damn it.

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Beltre done for 6-8 weeks.

Mariners are done.

They were already done, they just didn't know it yet.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I was 6, I was at a Royals game and Ken Brett came over to sign autographs. As he did, I said, thanks, Mr. Brett, can you send your little brother over?

He laughed out loud and then motioned for George to come over. He told George what I said and he laughed and then posed for a picture with me and signed my baseball...

The 1980 season would have been perfect if the good guys had won in the series...

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some Braves fans obviously think that (hi buckweaver!). They tend to block out everything the guy has done since he left Atlanta.

DeRosa is a solid hitter who can play all over the place. He seems like a nice fit for a team managed by Tony LaRussa. He's not a star, but he is useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.