1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

What does anybody hear about Roy Halladay to the Mets?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wow, that sure is one hell of a sample size.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just noting..not drawing any conclusions

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Mets turned down a deal in which he Jays asked for I believe 4 of their prospects. Unsure of which 4

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

That was reported by Jon Heyman, with no confirmation from anyone ... Blue Jays contcted Mets and asked for Fernando Martinez, Reuben Tejada, Bobby Parnell, Jonathon Niese for Hallladay.
    Minaya apparently issued a no comment.

If true, why has no one else picked up on this story?
    If true, why should anyone ever again root for the Mets?

PREEMPTIVE STRIKE: Fuck you, BYH!

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

:D :D :D

Halladay has no-trade protection, right? So why in the holy fuck would he go to the dog-ass sucktastic Mets?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It was reported by Ken Rosenthal on a Canadian sports channel.

Are they top flight prospects?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

All but Tejada have some major league experience. None has proven a thing. Four unproven players for the best pitcher in the AL = Santana revisited.

If the Mets really rejected this deal (and I'm not sure this is true), Jeff Wilpon is a bigger piece of shit than BYH thinks he is.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Blue Jays are going to want the organization's top prospect(s). Martinez and Niese are the Mets' top prospects. Rosenthal says he has a feeling Halladay's going to the Phillies.

Big Jeff has probably never watched Halladay pitch.

10. mb

mb Active Member

I'll believe that New York turned that offer down when ... well, pretty much never.

Philadelphia has three players in Baseball America's midseason Top 25 and the Blue Jays are pretty much demanding at least three of them. Not to mention they also keep talking about J.A. Happ, who is just 7-0 in his rookie season.

Now, I don't know where Martinez and Niese would rate compared to those guys, but they sure haven't shown much with the parent club.

So either the Mets stuff is total crap, or what they're asking/expecting from the Phillies has been grossly overstated.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Given that none of the NY papers made an big deal out of this I'm guessing Heyman is way off base here.
    Have to believe if this were true the Post and News, at least, would have delighted in ripping the Mets for turning it down. Mentioned only in passing in the News; only a short blog item on Post Web site saying it's "bogus."

Martinez is 20 years old, the Mets top prospect, and was hitting around .200 when he went down with knee injury. Had surgery to repair torn meniscus during All-Star break.
    Niese has been so-so in short stints in the majors, has been tearing up AAA lately and will be put into the roation this weekend.
    Parnell was great for about a month as a set-up guy but has been getting torched the last six weeks.
    I know nothing about Tejada except he's a shortstop who probably will end up changing position (if Reyes ever gets healthy and gets his head on straight) or become a utility guy.

12. mb

mb Active Member

The "offer" with/to the Mets has all the hallmarks of something floated out there to scare the Phillies/other teams into offering more.

But it's so much less than what Toronto was allegedly demanding that it just doesn't make sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.