1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I know the Halos are in the "Hallladay" sweepstakes, but I'd rather see them trade Brandon Wood, Jeff Mathis and another prospect for Victor Martinez, who is rumored to be on the block. Would make more sense for this particular team, IMO.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the Indians really are going to deal him unless they get an insane offer. It might not help that Martinez has been horrible for the past month. His batting average has fallen from .345 June 17 to .286. He has gone without a hit in 16 of his last 23 starts, probably the ugliest offensive slump of his career.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Would Super Genius Scioscia bat Martinez eighth, like he does with Napoli whenever he's got a healthy lineup?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Can't see the Angels trading Wood, given that they could plug him in at third base when Figgins leaves as a free agent after the season.

5. outofplace

Are they? It certainly doesn't seem like they are that sure of the kid with the way they keep bringing him up, not playing him and then sending him back down.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you can get possibly the best pitcher in baseball without giving up an established major leaguer, how do you not make that deal?
    Even the best prospect is 50-50 at best to make it big.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's the work of Super Genius Scioscia. How many prospects do the Angels bring up, only to let them rot on the bench? Wood, Sean Rodriguez, Reggie Willits (not a prospect any more, but a pretty valuable 4th OFer a few years ago who has just collected splinters the last two years), Kendry Morales before this season...I'm sure there's more I'm missing.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They weren't sure of Morales a year ago, either, but they plugged him in the lineup this season after Teixeira walked away.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think Heyman just got this wrong. Otherwise Minaya should be fired for rejecting it, and Ricciardi should have his head examined for offering it.

10. outofplace

Good point. I've got a buddy who is a die hard Angels fan. Watches just about every game. Maybe I've just been listening to him whine about them not playing Wood for too long.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Point is they didnt play Morales until they had no choice. They experimented with him in the outfield last year. Wouldn't he have been a better left fielder than Garret Anderson? Of coures, they won 100 games without Morales...and just one in the playoffs, as usual.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Mark Shapiro said that both Victor Martinez and Cliff Lee are both on the block. It's rumored that they basically just want to do a complete overhaul on their rotation. I know the Sox are heavily rumored to be in the running for Martinez as the Indians have said they would like to have Clay Buchholz in their rotation.

Kelly Shoppach, while he doesn't get as much playing time as Martinez, has shown promise. I don't know if anyone is going to go after Lee, but I could see Martinez going somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.