1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So, does Bernezard finally lose his job? Does he take anyone down with him?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What happened?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, great work by the rook. And once again, Guy's least favorite player has a huge role in the pivotal inning.

If not for Jenks, the Sox would be tied for first right now. I hope Monday and Tuesday was just a blip for Jenks. He might be the most valuable player on that team, because there is no one else in the pen who has the combo of stuff/mental make-up to be the closer if Jenks starts to struggle regularly.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If you mean Podsednick, I have no problem with him, in fact I'm rooting for him for fantasy reasons. I just have a problem with the notion that it was a good idea to trade Carlos Lee for him.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I thought that was the plan as well, but the Pirates decided to recall Steve Pearce instead. He'll see time at first with Garrett Jones, Delwyn Young and Brandon Moss alternating in left and right.

Not sure if Pearce will hit enough for a corner. The team, however, needs to see what they have in him once and for all; at 26 he's not exactly young and has nothing left to prove in Indianapolis.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's Podsednik. Yeesh.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think Rays announcer Dewayne Staats is still complaining about the non-strike three call in the bottom of the seventh right before the game-tying hit.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Rays announcers complaining? No way!

9. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

OK, Jerry Hariston. Your team is down a run, you're on second with no outs and a 2-0 count on the hitter (Votto, I think...could be mistaken there) in the 5th inning. So what do you do?

You try to steal third and get gunned down by a country mile. Nice job. Hard to see why the Reds have been so irrelevant for so long.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

To be fair, you could say that of many, many local announcing teams.

While Hawk is still calling White Sox games, they're one.

11. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Manny Ramirez is a pretty absurd dude. He doesn't start, pinch hits in the sixth with the bases loaded and sends the first pitch from Nick Masset into the left field seats.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

GB, there's a difference (albeit slight) between being a homer and being a whiner. The Rays guys are starting to approach Santo territory. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.