1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeRosa has had over 500 AB his last 3 seasons and is well on his way to his 4th in a row. Most likely if he leaves as a free agent then he'll be a Type A and net the Cardinals 2 first round picks which they can use to replace the two prospects they just sent to Cleveland.

I think this is a deal that helps both teams.

It should be noted that DeRosa was starting in the first place because Shapiro over-valued Andy Marte and that he needs a Chris Perez as a future closer because he miscalculated Woods ability to handle that job. Shapiro overall is not a good GM.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

To be fair to my fellow Braves fans, that feeling might be just mine. I have no idea how anyone else feels about DeRosa. I just know what my (strong) impressions are after watching him fail for so many years in Atlanta. But I'm not sure if we should rope anyone else into that sentiment.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Alfredo Almezaga and Omar Infante can play six or seven positions. It doesn't make them good.

If DeRosa could give the Cubs some work out of the bullpen, then yeah, he would have been a nice pickup. But since he doesn't, I guess he'd have been of great use at third base -- where he has a career .945 fielding percentage.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Cool replay from MLB.com of Sarge Jr. with a straight steal of home.

Here's the link (hope it works):

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Good to see the Mexicutioner doing his thing again. Though it looked like Greinke might've had complete game No. 6 if the rain hadn't intervened.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

From Yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Cardinals-to-make-pitch-for-Oakland-s-Holliday-;_ylt=AiGgeH3HRu3oHKcPsXaZNIQ5nYcB?urn=mlb,173275

Wow.

Pujols and Holliday on the same team could be deadly.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that Perez is not a part of the package. This was posted this morning.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If Almezaga and Infante were comparable hitters, that might be a worthwhile comparison.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would have loved to see that. Anything that helps Greinke get a death grip on the starting spot in the All-Star Game.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And anything so that he pitches the day before Minnesota comes to town.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nats now 6-3 in games attended by the SJ Outing crew.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

He's the only one capable of having an above average shot of winning when the Royals score their standard 3.2 runs.

And what the hell is Minnesota waiting for? The pole to turn green? Go win the goddam division already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.