1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

BuckW: Perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me, but I think I recall a three-pitcher perfect game by the A's sometime back in the 70s, when it was late September, and they were tuning up for the playoffs.
    That memory comes free of looking anything up. Research makes life dull.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Time of the game: a crisp 2 hours and 3 minutes.
    Mark Buerhle, a hero to sports writers everywhere for a variety of reasons.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's just typical Buehrle.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Never mind. Misread Buck's post. At least one story I saw said it was the 16th perfecto in MLB history.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're probably thinking of the four-pitcher combined no-hitter by the A's in 1975:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1975/B09280OAK1975.htm

Two walks and an error, though. Not a perfecto.

(And research makes memories better. ;))

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I bet he's around

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's god damn right. Buehrle going against Carlos Silva in a noon start is the closest thing to sports writer/editor heaven there is.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction, Buck. At least my memory is partially operative.
    Anybody here ever see a perfecto in person. I saw Bunning's on TV, being a Phillies fan, but the only even no-hitter I've ever seen was Matt Young's disallowed no-hitter.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're welcome.

I was in the LF stands for Johnson's perfecto in Atlanta. (BYH to the courtesy phone ... :D)

Another (former?) poster was at Kenny Rogers' perfecto in '94.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey did you see who caught the perfecto? Ramon Castro. Too bad the Mets can't use a guy like that behind the plate. Of course such no-no skills are wasted in Queens. HAHAHA assholes.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The next Mets no-hitter will put the franchise halfway to matching Buerhle's career total.
    Of course, the Mets have to realize that they don't get credit for a no-hitter when they're the ones without a hit.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Your ability to turn the news of the day into a new way to hate the Mets is SOOO freaking impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.