1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Are the Cubs better off with Milton Bradley than they would have been with Mark DeRosa? Nope.

The Mets are also 3 out in a winnable division and have played like shit and have six significant guys on the DL. And there was much howling in NY about them not going after DeRosa.
    And all Minaya keeps saying is wait til we get all are guys back ... then they will still suck just as the Cubs will still suck when Ramirez comes back.

2. chester

chester Member

If you're the Pirates, why do you trade Morgan for Milledge? It is the power potential?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why does anyone want Lastings Milledge?

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

But the point is that the rest of the league sucks too, so you can't give up yet.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Mets can't score runs or come back because the fill-in personnel can't help do either. A shit offense is even harder-pressed to score runs at home. At this point, the Mets are fucked if they fall behind 3-0 or 4-0. The Cubs can't score runs because a few of their principals aren't hitting and can't hold leads because their bullpen blows. The Cubs' problems are more fixable than the Mets' problems, and they don't even need Mark DeRosa to do it.

I don't think the Mets will score a lot of runs even when they do get their injured back. They're an 80-84-win team -- if lucky.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My guess is they don't have much faith in Morgan, who turns 29 next month and probably won't hit well enough to remain a regular at the major-league level.

Milledge is younger and more talented, but I can't say I like trading for a guy who is that much of a pain in the ass.

Latest version has the Pirates including Sean Burnett in the deal and getting Hanrahan along with Milledge.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/default.aspx

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Morgan is about to turn 29, his offensive numbers are mediocre and his ceiling is Juan Pierre-light.

Milledge has least a chance -- albeit a small one -- of being a good starter with speed and power, the latter being something Morgan just can't provide.

The team is going nowhere, and Morgan isn't exactly a part of the future. Milledge seems like a headcase/massive douche, but if I'm the Pirates, I make that deal everytime.

EDIT: I don't get the possible bullpen swap. Hanrahan sucks and the Pirates don't have another lefty to take Burnett's place.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's a done deal now. I like this trade, the Hinske trade and the McLouth trade. These are the type of deals the Pirates need to make to turn it around, because the old model the past 17 years sure haven't worked.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2009/06/30/pirates-trade-morgan-for-milledge.aspx

9. outofplace

I don't mind this one because I really don't think Morgan is anything special, but I have to disagree regarding McLouth. The McLouth deal was exactly like the old model. They traded a proven major leaguer for some other team's mid-level prospects and a guy who had already blown a couple of chances in the majors (Morton).

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Here's what I find odd: Washington made these trades for need, for now, instead of focusing on the future.

Is the front office unaware the team is 30 games under .500 in late June? Or were they that eager to cut ties with Milledge?

While unlikely, I'd laugh really hard if this deal causes them to miss out on a chance to draft Bryce Harper.

11. outofplace

I think they really just wanted to unload Milledge for something. I doubt Morgan is going to make that much of an impact for them.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Milledge is such an idiot, he was late to his own surgery (thanks to Moddy for that tip).

If I'm the Priates (hi oop!), he's one of the last guys I'd want as part of the rebuilding process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.