1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Hendry took a good team with great chemistry and blew it up to get some left-handed bats. He overreacted, and now he's got some bad contracts that aren't going anywhere for several years. I've really soured on him in just one year. It's too early to pass judgment on this entire season — 3.5 games out in a winnable division and lineup full of All-Stars who are injured and/or slumping and have never been this bad — but Hendry has seemingly had a horrible, horrible year. Imagine if they hadn't had Fox and Hoffpauir to bail them out of some spots this season? Yuck...

I just don't understand why he thought it was a good idea to acquire Aaron Miles and Aaron Heilman. Makes no sense. Didn't then, doesn't now. Bradley? A risk, but I got it then and still get it now. The Aarons, though? Gross.

And don't even fucking get me started on Kevin Gregg.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No, please, get started on Kevin Gregg. I'd like to hear it. :D

3. Hammer Pants

He's basically the exact same pitcher as Trevor Hoffman ... except he doesn't have 500 saves, a devastating closer's pitch or a clue. But other than that, they're pretty much the same player.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

But the goggles are fucking sweet, no?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Morton has failed with that stuff a time or two already, but maybe he will pan out. McLouth slumped badly along with the rest of the team when the Pirates unloaded Bay and Nady, then rebounded nicely in September (.309, 3 HR, 14 RBI, 24 runs, nine steals).

This season, he was miscast as a No. 3 hitter and he struggled with a sore hamstring the last few weeks, yet he is still on pace for 25 home runs, 21 steals, 97 RBI and 88 runs scored. He certainly isn't a star. He's a solid major leaguer with a very affordable contract, which should have made him one of the more valuable players on the trade market. The problem is the Pirates didn't bother to find out.

6. Hammer Pants

Respect the Rec Specs!

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Pirates seem to be putting a lot of faith in potential vs. proven success. I think the McLouth trade was good, though they could have gotten more at the deadline for him. But all of the pieces in the trade have great potential, save for maybe Morton, who probably won't improve a whole lot more.

Hernandez is young and fast and though more suited for center could easily play one of the two corner spots. Jeff Locke COULD be very good. Has good enough stuff to be rated No. 7 in the Braves org before the season started. He fell off last year and early this year because he tried to get too cute and pitch around guys. He's pitched to contact more in his time in the Pirates org, and the walks have gone way down. Pretty good curveball. Doesn't have a great fastball, but he really doesn't need one.

This trade is all about potential. IF Milledge lives up to his vast potential, this is a steal. IF he stinks, what did you lose? Nyjer Morgan? A dime-a-dozen major leaguer. I don't understand the reliever swap. Just seems like parts for parts.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

In the dorkdom of my youth, I wore them. Only thing me and Chris Sabo ever had in common.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Of course, I write this and Locke gives up eight runs in three-plus tonight. Yikes.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here. If you wore glasses and you wanted to play ball, you had to have something. Especially with those damn youth leagues that required face masks on batting helmets.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Saunders is getting shelled in Arlington right now. He gave up 2 homers and threw 22 pitches before recording his first out, which was a rope hit right at the leftfielder by Andruw Jones. He just walked Murphy and now there are 2 on.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Albert Pujols just launched his 29th of the year.

Wow.

The guy is a beast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.