1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

more scoring b.s. brian bruney blew a two-run lead in the eighth for the yanks and got the win when they scored three in the bottom half.

by the by, phil hughes pitched a 1-2-3 7th in relief, on 9 pitches. so paint by numbers clueless joe girardi brought in bruney for the 8th as the bridge to mariano. how long before clueless joe realizes bruney is a bridge to nowhere and that hughes should be his 9th inning guy? he's been electric out of the pen. bruney's just a bum.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Jason Marquis is mowing down the Dodgers. One hit through six.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I read something about Locke being the guy that was most attractive to the Pirates.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, Locke's pretty highly regarded, even if his stats the last two years haven't shown it. He was the best lefty in the Braves' system, but they replaced him pretty quickly in the draft with Mike Minor, who will probably make it to the bigs before Locke does.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would be more concerned if the Bucs thought keeping a one-year wonder in the outfield would help bring longterm success. Better to build through highly regarded prospects and stockpiling arms in the farm system.

You don't turn a franchise around by fielding a team full of Nate McLouths.

6. Scouter

Scouter Member

He won't come close to Bonds' record. Twelve games until the All-Star break. Doubtful he gets close to 40. More like 35.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh, nearly forgot, I absolutely love how the Red Sox blew a nine-run lead and lost 11-10 to the Orioles tonight. With Papelbon allowing the game-tying and game-winning runs to score. Never saw that comeback coming true.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Nope. Tonight was the Cardinals' 79th game, which puts Pujols just slightly ahead of a pace to get 60. He'll have to maintain that pace through July and August and stay healthy just to threaten 60.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

You have to take into account that Pujols has also been intentionally walked 24 times this season, too. If St. Louis does indeed trade for Matt Holliday, I will assume that number will go down, regardless of the type of season Holliday is having.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Pujols is the purest hitter in the sport right now. I don't know many people who can match him swing-for-swing.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Posted without comment:

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've covered four of Locke's starts since the trade ... one thing to remember, he's very young. Won't turn 21 until the offseason, I believe. Still plenty of time to work with him. Plus curve when it's biting. OK fastball. Good change. Command was awful tonight. He was way up in the zone, and he gets killed up there because he doesn't throw a ton of heat. He'll have a bunch of ups and downs the rest of the year and will probably start next year in Altoona. Needs to worry about throwing strikes. It almost seems like he doesn't trust his stuff right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.