1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm with Oz...can't believe there's no other posts about this Sox collapse. 10-1 lead with the best bullpen in baseball against a team the Sox absolutely own and *poof*

And this is why as good as Papelbon is, it's folly to suggest he's even in the same milky way as Rivera. To go to him for a five-out save opp required an emergency of the highest order...and he was unsuccessful in closing it out.

The Mets are just pissed b/c now someone has beaten them to this!!! HAHAHA SUCK IT!!!!

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wasn't it just a year ago when Papelbon ran off at the mouth and suggested he deserved a shot to close the All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium -- if that were the case -- because he was better than Rivera? Never mind that he was only the third- or fourth-best closer in the AL last season, with Soria and K-Rod in the mix.

I couldn't have been happier to see Papelbon allow the game-tying and game-winning runs to score tonight.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, he's not long for Boston. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they trade him this winter, before he really starts making the big bucks. He strikes me as a guy who is going to get hurt sooner than later, anyway.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He probably knows he's not long for Boston, too, after the Red Sox took care of Pedroia and Youkilis in the offseason.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I can see that too, sadly. It looks to me as thought Daniel Bard could be the closer of the future. The kid's stuff is electric and he has more pitches than Papelbon, too. I think...

I remember watching him the other night. He threw a 101 MPH fastball then dialed down and threw a 77 MPH change-up. You can't beat that.

I wonder if Papelbon were to go to another team, they'd look at him and go, "You're a starter now." Papelbon has shown shoulder trouble over the past two seasons, and I'm sure it troubles other teams that he can't continually throw 95 MPH every pitch. He's only 29 and, like what BYH said, a serious injury is probably going to come sooner rather than later.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

No freakin way anyone makes Papelbon a starter. He has durability issues throwing 70 innings a year. He's closing for the duration, however long that is.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

What scares me the most is that when/if Papelbon becomes a free agent, you know the Yankees will be the first ones to open up their wallets.

In all honesty, though, as much as I love Papelbon; I'd rather see Daniel Bard in the closing role. He's younger and has a better arsenal of pitches.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Have I mentioned lately how fucking pathetic the Mets are?

Manuel closed the clubhouse for 30 minutesd after tonight's gae. Still won't make them suck any less.
    75 wins, max.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Welcome, friend.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, and the truly beautiful thing about the Mets' collapse? Willie Randolph is watching it all unfold from the other dugout. You've really got to fuck up to make Randolph a sympathetic character worth rooting for, so congratulations Mets!!!

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is more like it.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh Bubbler, Spnited is gonna have a field day when Hoffman pisses away two games in the Division Series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.