1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, there is good news for Mets fans.

There will be no September collapse this year.

And trust me, dickhead, the only moron who thinks Willie is a sympathic figure is Michael "I bleed pinstripes" Kay who constantly rails about the media who ran Willie out of town and are now protecting Manuel.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

He deserved to get fired and deserved all the "credit" for his shitty relationship with the press. but he didn't deserve to get hung out to dry like he was by lil' Jeffy.

Maybe after this 75-87 disaster people will finally figure out the real fuckin problem in Queens, instead of perpetuating the cuddly little underdog bullshit that's been peddled for decades.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Late to this party but on Milledge:

Former GM was infatuated with the guy and willing to give up too much for him.
    Current GM (acting) realized what he had. A marginally talented player who had some attitude issues that kept him from realizing that talent (and a manager who somehow thought he was a center fielder and a leadoff hitter - that mistake is not on Milledge).
    So he moved him.
    This move is not about the Nats' present or future. It is about moving two guys they didn't want anymore and getting two players in return. They won't be better because of this deal and they won't suck worse. They'll carry on, but a guy who got lit up pretty much every game and a guy with a bad 'tude and broken finger are no longer their problem.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Pujols won't get the RBIs to win the Triple Crown unless he continues to homer at a ridiculous rate. He has 85 plate appearances with RISP and has walked 30 times.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And he also left last night's game after two at-bats with a wrist injury ...

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I think the batting average will be the tougher get. There's only 3 guys within 20 RBIs of him right now, and only 1 within 17. That's a pretty favorable cushion to work from.

And while pitching around him clearly affects both his HR and RBI totals, he has only 6 more walks than Fielder and the same number as Adam Dunn, so he still gets his share of swings.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Come on buck, you're better than that.

Sure, DeRosa isn't pulling his weight, but no one else in that lineup is either, besides Pujols. Plus, they've had to face Liriano and Lincecum on consecutive nights.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Pujols get the Triple Crown, but I just don't see it in this age. It's no accident we haven't had a TC winner in more than 40 years.

Every May or June the Baseball Tonight crew talks up Pujols or A-Rod or Josh Hamilton or whomever for the Triple Crown, and it never happens. What people sometimes fail to realize is that with expansion (particularly to 16 teams in the NL), you have to beat out nearly twice as many people to win a category as you did in the Yaz/F. Robinson era (and exactly twice as many as you did in the Ted Williams or Mickey Mantle eras).

9. Scouter

Scouter Member

And then Randy Johnson.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09182/980910-63.stm

More grumbling from the Pirates' clubhouse. No surprise, especially since they are only five games out and the team has already traded away two starting outfielders. Not that anybody really believes they can win that division, but I can certainly understand the frustration.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Seems to me if you're 5 games out, you can win the division.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sure you could have gotten some fantastic odds on that even before they dumped 2/3 of their outfield.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.