1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One fallacy in that post is McCutchen getting his chance when McLouth was traded. They didn't have to trade McLouth to bring up McCutchen. Brandon Moss is betting .267 with one home run. He doesn't have to be in the lineup. It was good PR by the Pirates linking the two, to give the illusion that they had to make room for McCutchen. It just isn't true.

I really don't have a problem with either of the trades yesterday, especially the Hinske trade. It was more the idea of the Pirates actually giving the Yankees money that struck me as odd given the finances of the two franchises. My Bill Gates comment was simply a bit of hyperbole.

Andy LaRoche and Brandon Moss are batting fifth and sixth because the team doesn't have better options, not because they have earned it. LaRoche had one good hot streak, but he is still hitting only .278 with minimal power (three home runs).

Given that the team is five games out, where do you think they could be with Bay in left, McLouth in right, McCutchen in center field and some scrub at third base instead of LaRoche (who was part of the Bay deal)?

Maybe those deals pan out in the long run, but I still don't think they got enough for Bay or McLouth.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Well, shit. There went one idea.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Stick A Fork In The Mets

Did he miss the ball or are you pointing out the fact his body is twisted into a near-perfect "L" for LOSER?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It looks like he stuck the landing.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Take it to the baseball thread.

Oh, and Mets won today.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, I'm really not. ;D

And I didn't write it; AP did in last night's gamer.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. His quotes to D.C. media were a tad more upbeat.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Exactly where they are right now, maybe a little further back because the Bucs would have less pitching (Morton, Karstens and especially Ohlendorf).

Remember that with Bay, McLouth and Nady, they finished 30.5 games back a year ago. A great outfield doesn't guarantee wins. Just ask the Royals how many times they were in contention with Dye, Damon and Beltran.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Any way the Twins can just play the Royals the rest of the way?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Here's the problem -- they weren't moving McLouth to right, and McCutchen has played nothing but center in the minors. They've groomed him for that position from the start.

McLouth's a tier 2 outfielder who has probably maximized his potential. Morgan is a dime-a-dozen guy. Trust me, I understand the frustrations of the Pirates fans. But you can't look at that rotation and bullpen and legitimately think the Pirates are one or two players away from earning a playoff berth this season.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

that shit-fest brought you back to even on the season with MLB's best AA lineup. Not exactly Cubs-Pirates. At least not yet.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Morton is 0-1 in three starts for the Pirates, including one in which he left after an inning. He may contribute something. He has contributed nothing.

Karstens and Ohlendorf were not part of the Bay deal or the McLouth deal. They would still have those two. I'm not questioning the Nady deal. Obviously, that one has turned out quite well for them.

And Cosmo, no, I don't think that pitching staff is enough to get them in the playoffs and I agree that Morgan was no great loss at all. If they wanted to put their best team on the field, moving McLouth to right field is exactly what they would have done.

They have made some decent moves since the new regime took over. Drafting Alvarez (though that should have been an easy call). Getting value out of Nady and Marte. Getting some upside in exchange for Morgan. I'm not a big fan of Milledge, but he certainly has a better chance to develop into something than Morgan does.

But they still didn't get enough for their two most valuable pieces, Bay and McLouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.