1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know what deal they were a part of, obviously. But to dismiss the Nady trade from the others is wrong. They're all part of the same movement to add depth to the franchise in the minors. That's why I lump that trade in with the others.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think we're on the same page more than you think ... They could have waited a little longer to pull the trigger on McLouth. I think closer to the deadline they get a pitcher a little closer to major league ready than Locke. I'm watching another piece of the Bay trade (Bryan Morris) pitch tonight. He's been up and down after being injured earlier this year. He was a former Dodgers' first rounder (12th overall) and has some potential. Seems like we're saying that a lot with the Pirates ...

3. mb

mb Active Member

It's a damn shame somebody's going to make the playoffs out of the NL East.

/phanboy

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But we are talking about two different types of player. Nady and Morgan are mediocre players who had strong starts and allowed the Pirates to trade high. Bay is an outstanding player. McLouth is a very good one. Neither was going to be a free agent in the offseason the year they were traded. You have to get strong value for guys like that. Where we differ is I think they didn't get nearly enough.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Morris was probably the player I liked least in that deal. Not because he doesn't have ability, but because he was damaged goods. He had been hurt previously and I don't think it was even a month after the deal that he was hurt again. The Pirates have blown out enough arms. They didn't need another one that was already damaged.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's already had Tommy John and had a "shoulder impingement" that put him out two months this year. Pitched OK tonight. Gave up four unearned runs. Not his fault his teammates can't field.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Don't worry, you'll get three more wins this weekend, since the Tigers haven't figured out how to win on the road.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Braves' offense turning it on vs. Philly. Diaz with 3 hits, including a 2-run homer. Prado and Jones with 4 hits and 5 RBI between 'em. Hernandez with a homer.

Jurrjens has allowed one hit in 7 IP (although he's walked four.) Nice.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Marlins a half game back.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

More runs that Jurrjens received in support during June.

They looked like world-beaters last weekend.

Okay, that's not true. They looked like manual egg-beaters last weekend.

Speaks volumes about the NL East.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This should make you feel better, DD ... just got back from watching the Royals' Midwest League club, the Burlington Bees, pound the hell out of the Quad-City River Bandits, 12-5.

Burlington's starter, Tim Melville, supposedly is one of KC's better prospects. Had one bad inning (four runs), but otherwise looked pretty good with 5Ks. And he certainly looked great compared to any of the QC pitchers (the Bandits are the Cardinals Class A affiliate).

One other tidbit ... recent roster addition, Marc Maddox, had a hit and FIVE walks from the leadoff spot for Burlington.

But the best part of the game was my son tracking down a foul ball for a souvenir. Brought a big smile to a 10-year-old's face. Can't beat fun at the old ballpark.

And if any SportsJournalists.comers in the Midwest have a chance to check out a game in Davenport, right along the Mississippi River, I highly recommend it. Very nice minor league park.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The fact that the Pirates got a top-60 BA prospect for a 27-year-old outfielder whose bat vanished after a fast start in 2008 and plays sub-par defense, I think they did well. Add in two more pitchers who could turn into something and it's a better return. It's not like they had CC Sabathia as a bargaining chip -- they weren't going to get a LaPorta-type prospect for McLouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.