1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

She had two jackets -- one blue Padres jacket and some red thing she had hidden underneath.

They're both toast now.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Astros announcers are having a field day with this. They gave their player of the game award to the beekeeper.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

No, no, no. He's the bee killer. This has been settled.

Any sign of the ballgirl? (And I thought San Diego was where they used retired guys at those outfield spots instead of PYTs.)

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They just showed her. As you could guess, she's quite the looker. I haven't seen any kind of replay of her reaction at the beginning of the whole thing, though.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tom Hicks broke and on his way out:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AskwDc6yQQiHyzQbcG10IacRvLYF?slug=ge-rangershicks070209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Aroldis Chapman, Cuba's best pitcher and said to be one of the top left-handed pitching prospects in the world, defected from the national team today in the Netherlands.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4302422

Time for the Yankees and Red Sox to do some dick-swinging, as only they can.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

So you CSI fans probably remember the episode with the furries ... well, they've taken over the Mets' hotel in The Cultural Center Of Western Pennsylvania.

For those of you who don't ... here's the Wikipedia article on furry conventions. Further linkage reveals that the Mets have crossed paths with something called Arthrocon.

It was discussed on the Mets' SNY broadcast today and Hernandez managed to insert this jaw-dropping double entendre:<blockquote>Keith: I saw a guy with his pet beaver. He had it in his hand. He was stroking it, he was petting it.</blockquote>Dude was stroking his beaver in public, eh? That's a crime in most states.

Author and MLBlogger Zöe Rice¹ blogs in detail about it, including about how Hernandez was overcome by the smell of the furries and/or their costumes. You'd think they dry-clean the things before the convention.
    ¹I must confess that I have no idea who this person is.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

That was one of the funnier CSI's. It was so bizarre. I remember this great exchange:

Dude in costume (to Catherine and Grissom): I know what you're thinking.

Catherine: You couldn't possibly -- (she is interrupted by someone, but the look on her face was hilarious).

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's right... he's 90 percent the hitter Manny is... and 300 percent the fielder and locker-room presence

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Bay is a great player.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Cultural Center Of Western Pennsylvania?

BYH, Spnited, just have at it.

This is like having a diving club in Phoenix.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Simon fielding is to hitting as 1 is to 10 in terms of a left fielder's value.
    Nobody, not even players, gives a shit about "locker room presence." The list of guys who played with and could not stand to be within speaking distance of Curt Schilling is the size of the Boston phone book. They were all damn glad to see him get the ball every fifth day, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.