1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gordon was by far the more highly-regarded prospect. They had to get both in the lineup somehow, so moving Teahen made sense. The second base experiment was more because they had nothing in the middle infield and a logjam in the outfield so rather than juggle four outfielders, they gave it a shot. Kind of like what the Cardinals have done with Shumaker. Teahen has had a decent year. They might like him a little more now than they did a year ago.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I passed someone on I-70 yesterday with "Arthrocon or Bust!" written in their rear window. Now I know what the fuck it is.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

? I know the Brewers a couple years ago shared a hotel with them.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My bad. I thought it was a joke.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sadly, Gordon is a big reason the Royals passed on Evan Longoria (No. 3 overall) and picked Hochevar at No. 1. To think about where the Royals might have been with Greinke and Lincecum (No. 10) at the top of the rotation, or maybe with Gordon moving to first base to make room for Longoria ... ugh.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but they have Mike Jacobs!!! MIKE JACOBS!!!!

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I doubt the Royals would bite, too, unless the Red Sox pay the rest of Lugo's contract and the Royals don't have to trade any prospects in return. I was hoping the Royals could spin Mahay into Jed Lowrie at the trade deadline a year ago, but Lugo got hurt days before and suddenly the Red Sox needed Lowrie to start every day and there went that.

Damn you, BYH, damn you!

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, Oz, I almost feel bad for you and the deal you made with the devil: Titles for the Jayhawks, Steelers and Penguins and you wouldn't care what happened to your baseball teams.

Almost. :D :D

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

All I ask for this season is for Greinke to start the All-Star Game, Greinke to win the Cy Young and for the Bucs to finish 82-80. I'm not asking for too much, right? Right?

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Three reasons:
    1. Tony Pena Jr.
    2. Luis Hernandez
    3. Tug Huellett

Compared to that, Lugo looks like some sort of combination of Cal Ripken, Ozzie Smith, Captain Fantastic and A-Rod. With a side of Hanley Ramirez.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Note to Simon:

Manny Ramirez, steroid suspension or not, is a first ballot Hall of Famer. Jason Bay can pay his way in to the museum at Cooperstown to admire Manny's placque.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm not so sure Manny's a first-ballot HOFer anymore.

He should be, but I am far from convinced he will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.