1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like he might be starting to turn it around. Batting around .500 the last four games with a few RBIs and five or six extra base hits. Also led off the game with a homer today. During a postgame interview Friday, he said he was crouching too much at the plate and his bat was dragging. Went into the cage, figured out what he was doing wrong, and had a great week. You just hope the all-star break doesn't break up his rhythm.

Oh, and the Mets looked about as good this weekend as Rollins did in the first half. Three runs in three games? Ye gods.

2. Wakefield making it is a great story - 42-year old World Series-winning pitcher sounds like a little leaguer when talking about his first All Star team.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'm surprised that Miguel Cabrera got snubbed over Kevin Youkilis. Justin Morneau getting in was a given, but I would have taken Cabrera over Youk' in a heartbeat.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Even though he hasn't played there all year, I'd rather have seen Branyan for Young. Inge has been great, but I think Branyan has been better.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Everyone's afraid of Nick Punto. ;)

Nick Blackburn continues to break every rule of baseball by allowing virtually every batter to put the ball in play, yet hardly allowing any runs.

It's getting damned freakish.

6. If Carlos Pena's not on the All-Star team - he'll be the 1st player leading the AL in HR not to make the All-Star team roster since Detroit's Mickey Tettleton in 1993.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'm right with you, Bubs.

When you also think about how much Hardy, Hart, Cameron, Hall and Kendall have struggled most of the year, it IS amazing they're still where they are.

Macha gets a lot of kudos from me as well.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

One could argue that two of the final five should have already been on the team.

Those two being Inge and Pena.

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

It seems like yesterday when they were two of the endless supply of Tigers busts, and headed for long careers in Toledo.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Not sure Jason Bartlett belongs on the All-Star team. Zobrist or Bartlett, one over the other.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

MarKKKK Reynolds, the guy with no holes in his game, calls out the Diamondbacks as a "Bad News Bears" outfit.

http://ballhype.com/story/the_bad_news_backs/

12. Interesting stat - more than half of Adam Dunn's plate appearances do not involve a member of the other team touching the ball (other than the pitcher or the catcher). Almost 51% of Dunn's plate appearances result in either a walk, a strikeout or a HR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.